Filter issues based on whether the linked epic contains a string

morrcahn September 21, 2016

I need to filter the list of issues showing in my scrum board based on the epics they are linked to. For example, I have a number of epics which begin with the string 'ISS' and so only want to show the issues related to them.

So far, I worked out the following JQL which seems to get me on the right track, but I don't know enough about the language, and the documentation and examples are lacking, especially for the second example.

JQL 1: 

issueFunction in linkedIssuesOf("issuetype = Epic and resolution is empty", "is epic of")

Intuitively, I would say something like, "issuetype = epic and name contains 'ISS'", but that doesn't work. It gives me the error, "Field 'name' does not exist or you do not have permission to view it." Currently looking at the list of acceptable fields in the docs here.

JQL 2:

issue.property[development].commit = 0

Similarly, I would like to find a list of acceptable arguments where development sits now, even just for a default issue. I'm imagining it could be something like,

issue.property['epic link'].value contains 'ISS'

If this is not at all possible, alternatively, it would be great if I could filter issues based on their labels. So, if I had a label, 'iss', then I could filter out all issues unless they have that label.

Thank you in advance!

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
morrcahn September 23, 2016

I have solved it in two ways, both requiring a filter:

issuefunction in linkedissuesofrecursive("issuetype = epic
and summary ~ ISS")

This requires the summaries of the epics to be the same as their respective names, or at least contain the unique string ISS. If this is done, all issues related to the epics with ISS in their summary will be shown, the rest being filtered out. The two ways to use this:

1. Add this filter to your shared project scrum board. It will filter out the issues you don't care about, and leave only those you do. The disadvantage with this solution is that it will not filter out epics you don't care about. This is a feature request (can't find the ticket, apologies) which has been closed by the powers at be, and seems like it won't be reopened. The advantage with this solution is that you can quickly switch to see the other issues for that board/project, something likely useful for project leaders.

2. Alternatively, you can create an entirely new scrum board using the JQL shown above in the form of an issue filter. Be aware that the viewing permissions of that filter decide the viewing permissions of the scrum board. The advantage of this solution is it will only show the epics you care about (those with ISS in their summaries), allowing for a more focused and less-cluttered scrum board. This solution also helps enable many different groups which have shared versions/milestones across a company (e.g. my company) to share those milestones and thus be able to display overall progress very easily. The disadvantage of this solution is... I have yet to find one, because I have just began working with this solution, as it is the best solution to my problem/question.

If you have any questions about the simple steps it takes to accomplish either of the solutions, don't hesitate to ask. The difficult part (for me) was finding the right JQL for the job, and knowing where to paste it.

Michael Schmid January 24, 2018

I get an an error that the JQL function “linkedIssuesOfrecursive(issuetype=epic)” was not found. Do I need a plugin for this to work?

morrcahn February 14, 2018

It's most likely this function was turned off by your admins, because the query can end up locking down the entire server if you aren't careful (I may or may not have locked down the server of my 5k+employee company...).

@Michael Schmid, are you trying to accomplish the same thing I was?

Michael Schmid February 19, 2018

Yes, I was also wanted to filter by a property of the linked epic. And I am on Jira Cloud. My project admin doesn’t care about tuning performance settings, they are all at their defaults (if even any are available on Jira Cloud).

But when search for linkedIssuesOf, I only find documentation with the Scriptrunner plugin, so I assume that plugin is a prerequisite for this to work.

morrcahn March 25, 2019

@Michael Schmid ,

Considering you are on Jira Cloud, it's highly likely you don't have access to the 

linkedissuesofrecursive()

function.

1 vote
Balaji Vijayan September 25, 2019

Does this require a plugin or can this be achieved with the default JIRA product?

0 votes
morrcahn September 21, 2016

I found another angle that could work with some additional help:

issueFunction in linkedIssuesOfRecursive("issue in (ISS-13,ISS-14,ISS-15)")

where each of those issues is actually an epic.

It then shows the tasks/bugs/etc. associated with all of the listed epics. However, this will only work if I manually enter in the issue keys for each epic, but I need it to be automatic. It seems that it would work best to key off something in the name of the epic.

Suggest an answer