Export to XML produces bad code, how to report bug?

Trina Peck July 28, 2017

I found a bug when exporting an issue to XML. The XML that was produced kept failing when trying to open the file in Excel 2013. I determined that there was a misplaced hyphen '-' in the prolog of the xml. See the line with '-<rss version="0.92">'. I removed the hyphen changing it to '<rss version="0.92">' and was able to successfully open the file in Excel. I wanted to post in case somebody else runs into this.

<?xml version="1.0"?>

<!-- RSS generated by JIRA (7.2.4#72006-sha1:91606a849e49df24789f9d9a6614de45c98c37a8) at Fri Jul 28 08:25:40 CDT 2017 It is possible to restrict the fields that are returned in this document by specifying the 'field' parameter in your request. For example, to request only the issue key and summary add field=key&field=summary to the URL of your request. For example: https://jira.efleets.com/si/jira.issueviews:issue-xml/TCO-1113/TCO-1113.xml?field=key&amp;field=summary -->

-<rss version="0.92">

-<channel>

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 31, 2017

I tried to reproduce this problem, but I couldn't seem to get my xml export to save the file with that extra character.   I noticed that if I exported this while using firefox, that the browser would immediately show the XML file in my tab, and in that appearance there looked to be a hypen, but if I used the File menu -> Save page as, the resulting saved XML file did not contain this extra hypen. 

I think this is a way that the browser is trying to render an XML file and those hypens are used as a means to show that the tags have been expanded in that viewer.   It might be possible if you're doing a select all in that view that you might copy this character inadvertantly.   I noticed if you do this in Chrome it actually shows triangles that change direction when the tags are expanded.   But again if I used the file menu to save this displayed file, it does not appear to include any extra characters. 

What browser are you using?   And what steps are you using to save this xml file from the browser?

Suggest an answer