Export a single project incl. 15 users and attachements to JIRA cloud

Stephan Kambor February 17, 2016

Hi,

we have a JIRA 6.4.8 installation with ~135 projects and ~200 Users. I want to move a single project of the 135 incl. 15 of the 200 users and the attachements of this project to JIRA cloud.

I read some of the answers in this forum, the doku and my conclusion is that's impossible. Is that true?

Regards
Stephan 

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 18, 2016

You are correct.  There is no "project export" function.  If you export everything, then you can use project import to get your issues in.  Your users are a completely separate story as well.

If this is a completely new Cloud system, then you could export everything from 6.4, load it into a development system, delete everything you don't want and then use an export to create everything in Cloud.  If you're importing into an existing Cloud system though, it's a lot harder.

Stephan Kambor February 18, 2016

Hi Nic,

thanks for your quick response and yes I want to use a new Cloud system. I have two questions regarding your answer.

1. When I export everything from 6.4 to a dev system, delete all other stuff and create a new export. Is this export with the attachements?
  2. What do you mean with "users are a completely separate story"? Is it not possible to move users? Should I move the users manually? Before or after the project import?

Thanks and regards
Stephan 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 18, 2016

Sorry, I wasn't clear on the two options I was talking about.  If you use "project import", it will not do anything with the users - you need to load them into the system before the project import.  If you use system import of everything, you'll get the users.

So, as you have an empty Cloud to work with, you do have the easier case - load a copy into a dev system, delete everything you don't want, and then use that system to run through https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/Migrating+from+JIRA+Server+to+JIRA+Cloud

Suggest an answer