Exclude weekends in jql query

Dan Buffham October 8, 2015

I have a user that wants a filter to manage the SLA for their dept. But they want to exclude weekends. This is what we came up with, any ideas how to exclude weekends now?

project = INC AND status = Open AND Delegation = "CPE Incident" AND created <= -24h OR status = Assigned AND Delegation = "CPE Incident" AND created <= -48h OR status = "In Progress" AND Delegation = "CPE Incident" AND created <= -48h

2 answers

2 votes
Phill Fox
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 21, 2020

Hi @Dan Buffham1 

This is probably way too late to help you but I will put an answer in here for anyone else who finds this question. 

If you I understand your criteria correctly they want 

project = INC AND status = Open AND Delegation = "CPE Incident" to have an SLA of 24h Mon-Fri but no counting of Saturday/Sunday and they are looking for items that meet that criteria (I have ignored the other variants of Delegation for now).

So we can split the criteria in to three parts issues raised on Monday-Thursday current week

(created <=-24h and created >startOfWeek())

now lets look at issues raised on Friday

(created <=-72h and created >startOfWeek(-2d) and created <startOfWeek())

What this does is uses the 72h period to ignore Sat/Sun for any ticket created on the previous Friday 

and everything earlier

(created <=-24h and created <startOfWeek(-2d))

Putting all three parts together you get 
(created <=-24h and created >startOfWeek()) OR (created <=-72h and created >startOfWeek(-2d) and created <startOfWeek()) OR (created <=-24h and created <startOfWeek(-2d))

Regards

Phill

Franzi Joseph November 12, 2020

Hey @Phill Fox ,

great idea to share your knowledge even 5 years later :DDD.

I was just looking for exactly that filter, not with created but with updated, but it works the same way :).

Thanks a lot and BR

Franzi

Phill Fox
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 19, 2020

Hi @Franzi Joseph 

I am glad to have helped you. Using the startOfWeek and endOfWeek functions can be tricky to get your head round at first but they are super powerful along with the ones for Day/Month. 

kind regards

Phill

Like Franzi Joseph likes this
Sujata January 15, 2021

Hi Phill, I have another scenario wherein I need to check if an issue is beyond the SLA, here again, i need to exclude the saturday and sunday based on the creation date. For example, if the priority of an issue is Critical, we need to resolve this within 1 day. If it has passed one day and the issue is still open then we tag them. 

Currently, I have this query...created <= endOfDay(-2d) AND priority = Critical. This works great but it doesnt take into account the weekends. So if the defect was created on a friday it starts tagging on a saturday if it is still open but I want it to tag on Monday by excluding saturday and sunday. 

Is there anyway I can do this with your above resolution in addition to my query 

created <= endOfDay(-2d) AND priority = Critical 

0 votes
Chris Whitten [Comskil] October 13, 2015

Hey Dan,

Its a requested feature (see here) but the closest thing to it can be found here: https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/38644

Suggest an answer