Exactly what data can be imported from JIRA server to JIRA cloud?

Jason King October 31, 2016

I read the Atlassian article #779160826 about the steps for migrating from a JIRA server instance to JIRA cloud, but I am curious about exactly what information the JIRA server can export. The article clearly states that all Issues and their attachments will be exported, and talked about exporting user avatars and logos.

But its uncertain whether the following items would also be exported:

• Workflows and workflow schemes
  • User dashboards and saved filters
  • Custom fields
  • Data relating to addons such as JIRA Agile (Greenhopper)

If anyone is able to let me know, that'd be much appreciated.

Regards,

JK

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 1, 2016

It's worth explaining what the backups are quickly.  The basic JIRA has an internal backup system which efectively exports all of the data in the database (i.e. everything you just listed and the rest - users, screens, integration configs, etc etc etc)

On Server, that is the xml export.  It only does the database.  You have to deal with attachments and avatars yourself.  If you restore the xml and additional files, you get an identical copy of JIRA to run with.

On Cloud, it's based on the same xml generation, but it changes the data in the xml a bit (it changes the password for the system user, moves the users into the JIRA internal directory, and does a handful of other things that make the export usable for an import into server), and then adds in the attachments, logos etc, so you get all the extra data that Server users have to do manually.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events