EventPublisher and JIRA notification messages

Pawel Duleba March 6, 2016

Hi all,

I'm new in JIRA Plugin development. I'm writing integration plugin between JIRA 7.X.X and our company internal system. It has to automatically transfer Work Log time logged by user on issue into internal system using REST API. I did it using `EventPublisher` JIRA component. 

The only thing left is to notify user in case of internal communication error  (using popup message as described here).

As far as I know `EventPublisher` is unable to communicate with UI (executed in different thread). 

1. On which component should I focus on?
  2. Or mayby should I change `EventPublisher` to something else?

Thank You in advance for any hints!

3 answers

0 votes
Lisa Zentz March 8, 2016

We are not capturing actual time spent in JIRA yet, due to our workflow configurations.  We're many moons away from an integration with Oracle.  One consideration, however, is that time logged in JIRA doesn't necessarily reflect all the time allocated toward a project (e.g. allocated 8 hrs a day, but spending 6.5 on actual project work.).  Something I've wrestled in the past.

0 votes
Pawel Duleba March 7, 2016

Hi Lisa,

Thank You for response.
The goal of my plugin is to transfer time, spend on particular task (logged in JIRA), to my company internal system. This way developers won't have to do it twice (in JIRA and in internal system). 

I hope it clarifies my case.

I'm trying to figure out how to inform user (in this case developer who is logging time) that transfering time were unsuccessful (internal system REST API returns error code).

It would be great if You could provide me some hint how to do it programmatically at `EventPublisher` level smile 

0 votes
Lisa Zentz March 7, 2016

Is this something you're using for capacity planning (estimate and actual) against budget?  I'd be interested in understanding your goal, since we are examining better ways to capture that information and map to budget/capacity as well.  Thank you!

Suggest an answer