Error Importing Backup from Jira Server

Will Hockaday February 8, 2016

Hi, I was trying to import a backup of my JIRA system to JIRA Cloud and I got the following not very useful looking error message:

What does this mean? I'm running a fairly old version of JIRA server I'm sure - v5.2.8 - maybe I need to upgrade first?

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 8, 2016

You absolutely need to upgrade first. Please read – https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/Migrating+from+JIRA+Server+to+JIRA+Cloud

We recommend being on the latest release of JIRA Server when importing to JIRA Cloud, so as to avoid any problems with the importing of the XML backup.

Will Hockaday February 10, 2016

Thanks Steven, and sorry for not reading the manual.

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 10, 2016

No need to apologize friend. Just happy to help. 

Upgrading or transferring jira can be fickle, once you get the hang of the big items it's pretty quick. 

Suggest an answer