Epic, Task, & sub-task reporting/gadget

Louis Tominack January 7, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Reporting

Is there a report or gadget that allows one to view epics, tasks, and sub-tasks in a hierarchical manner? Would like to see a tree view with the ability to expand & collapse the tree,  THANKS

5 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Lauma Cīrule
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 12, 2016

Hi Louis,

If you are still searching for solution, please take a look at eazyBI report creation add-on for JIRA. With eazyBI you can create custom reports based on JIRA data.

Here is an example report that shows Issue hierarchy - Epic, Task and sub-task - with various issue properties. You can expand or collapse any of the Epics or it's tasks as well as add other measures and properties to the report.
Let me know if you have any questions regarding eazyBI!

Kind regards,
Lauma / support@eazybi.com 

0 votes
Rahul_RVS_Support
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 4, 2021

Hi All,

I know it is a bit late to answer this, but many people keep looking for an easy solution to this problem. We have built an add-on to manage multiple Epics and their hierarchy on a single page. You may want to try it out.

Agile Tools - Epic Tree and Time in Status 

Manage and visualize your Epics with rolled up estimate progress reports.

Key features:

• Epic Sum
  • Configure progress % calculation on either "remaining estimate" or "original estimates"
  • Epic Tree directly on Issue Screen
  • Display and manage Epics/Issues of your project
  • Edit Issue summary, time estimates, story points and assignee on the tree with real time updates in the progress
  • Rolled up percentage completion and at issue level as well
  • JQL support for Epic Hierarchy screen
  • Time in Status report using JQL
  • Issue Tracker to view complete transitions on your issue screen
    • Status Transition : View all the status changes in a single tab along with average time and count in each status. Switch between graphical and tabular view to make more out of the data.
    • Assignee Transition : View all the assignees for the issue along with the time for which the issue was with each assignee. Switch between graphical and tabular view to make more out of the data.

Epic Hierarchy Screen_Cloud.PNG

0 votes
Nick Knuth March 23, 2018

Lauma, I am not able to see anything when I review the example metric you posted above.  Can you send a screen shot of what it looks like?  Is there tutorial on how you made the metric in eazyBI.  A colleague and I had been trying to make something very similar in Arsenale Dataplane and with basic gadgets in JIRA but had no luck.  It sounds like this would work though. 

Lauma Cīrule
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 27, 2018

Hi Nick,

I am sorry, the example above has been removed from the test account. Here is another example in our demo account using Issue Epic hierarchy and some properties displayed in Gantt chart. When clicking on the + next to Epic name, you can see tasks that are part of the Epic.

You can create such report by using Issue Epic hierarchy and then using the measures you are interested in. 

Screen Shot 2018-03-27 at 10.59.30.png

Let me know if there is anything else I can assist you with!
Lauma / support@eazybi.com

0 votes
Louis Tominack January 13, 2016

Thank you Lauma.  This might be exactly what I am looking for.

0 votes
Phill Fox
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 7, 2016

Hi Louis,

At the moment I am not aware of any plugin that directly meets your requirement but we may have some internal tools that could be of help. Please feel free to reach out to me directly pfox at adaptavist.com

Suggest an answer