Enforce regex on a single line text custom field

Raina Arjona June 23, 2016

Hi,

I have a single line text custom field on a project with 7000+ issues that is called Due Time

Users have been entering the time in any format into that custom field.

What I'd like to do is enforce the simple PHP-style regex below onto the field to standardize it.

\d\d?:\d\d (AM|PM)$

Is there an easy way to do this with ScriptRunner's Scripted Fields?

I think I would need to copy my existing custom field over to a new Scripted Field first, but I'm not quite sure where to go from there, or if there is a better solution.

Thanks,

Raina

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 27, 2016

Isn't a better solution just to use a date-time custom field? Failing that you can use a DateFormat in a simple scripted validator as @Vasiliy Zverev suggests. 

Raina Arjona June 28, 2016

@Jamie Echlin [Adaptavist] I complete agree with you and @Vasiliy Zverev!

The problem that we were having was that our users were not properly selecting the time on the date-time custom field in the past.

Rather than re-invent the wheel here, I'm going to add the new date-time custom field to replace my old single line text Due Time field and my date picker for Due Date with a date-time custom field called Due Date and Time on the create screen along with a bold red note in the field configuration that says something along the lines of "please set your due time when selecting your date on the calendar".

Thank you both!

1 vote
Vasiliy Zverev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 24, 2016

You can use SimpleDateFormat java class to parse string to Date. Here is a example:

import com.atlassian.jira.component.ComponentAccessor

import java.text.ParseException
import java.text.SimpleDateFormat

//here we create all requared date fortas
SimpleDateFormat format1 = new SimpleDateFormat("yyyy/MM/dd")
SimpleDateFormat format2 = new SimpleDateFormat("yyyy-MM-dd")

SimpleDateFormat resultFormat = new SimpleDateFormat("dd/mm/yyyy")

String stringToParse = ComponentAccessor.getCustomFieldManager().getCustomFieldObjectByName("fieldName").getValue(issue)
Date parsedDate = null;
//here we parse it
try {
    parsedDate = format1.parse(stringToParse).toString()
} catch (ParseException e){
    parsedDate = format2.parse(stringToParse).toString()
}

if(parsedDate != null)
    return resultFormat.format(parsedDate)
else
    return "not parsed"
Vasiliy Zverev
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 27, 2016

Agree with @Jamie Echlin [Adaptavist], use this code to parse date and use date or datetime filed further and you will never have such troubles anymore.

Suggest an answer