Encryption options

Meta System S.p.A. October 27, 2017

we would like to understand what options exist for cryptography on Jira to encrypt sensitive data on issues and related attachments.

Thanks and best regards,

Maurizio

4 answers

1 vote
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 27, 2017

Natively, Jira is not able to encrypt data such as issues/attachments.   Jira does have the ability for you to use issue-level security in order to further restrict users from seeing specific issues and their attachments beyond the scope that the standard permission schemes encompass on a per project basis.  But this isn't truly encryption, but rather an addition layer of permissions.

If that avenue is not what you are looking for, then I would recommend searching on our Atlassian Marketplace for Jira apps in relation to encryption.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Andy

Metin Savignano July 4, 2018

See my answer below (originally answered here, but wrong place).

0 votes
lauren
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 18, 2019

Hi @Meta System S.p.A. ,

I just wanted to provide an update here. 

Customer data is encrypted in transit and at rest in Atlassian cloud products.

All customer data stored within Atlassian cloud products and services is encrypted in transit over public networks using Transport Layer Security (TLS) 1.2+ with Perfect Forward Secrecy (PFS) to protect it from unauthorized disclosure or modification.

Data drives on servers holding customer data and attachments in Jira Software Cloud, Jira Service Desk Cloud, Jira Core Cloud, Confluence Cloud, Statuspage, OpsGenie, and Trello use full disk, industry-standard AES-256 encryption at rest. To learn more, please see our Security Practices page.

We post updates related to security, privacy, compliance, and more in our Trust & Security group. Feel free to post related questions and feedback there! 

Best,

Lauren

0 votes
Metin Savignano December 7, 2018

What type of encryption are you exactly looking for? 

• Web communications encryption is supported via HTTPS
  • Email encryption (for infos sent via notifications) is not supported in plain Jira, but this add-on adds support for S/MIME and PGP encryption.
  • Encryption of data at rest (stored in the database) is available through additional add-ons

It also depends on which edition you use - server or cloud. In the cloud version, the options for adding low-level features like these are very limited for add-ons.

0 votes
Nigel Rochford
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 11, 2018

We have just published an app that enables encryption of data in bulk across Jira issues. Check it out here! https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1219237/zorro-anonymizer?hosting=server&tab=overview

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events