Enabling ranking

Blessing Ugbo July 18, 2016

I want to display Sub-task with associated parent task hierarchy, but the instructions I got was to enable "Ranking" but I cant seem to find the Add Ranking option as stated in your documentation.

2 answers

0 votes

Do I need to log-in as admin?

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 18, 2016

Go to the board configuration and check that the board filter includes "order by rank"

Jira.PNG

I dont see that option...See attachement

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 18, 2016

You can see it in your screenshot - it's got "order by rank" in it already.

That means you have ranking enabled, and don't need to do anything.

So, the next question is "where are you looking when you say ' display Sub-task with associated parent task hierarchy,' ?"

Here's a sequence of what I am doing,,,,

1. Log in to JIRA > Boards (select a board) > click Configure -----At which point I should see the option to "Order by rank" Attached is another screen grab.JIRA2.PNG

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 18, 2016

No.

Your screenshot is of the quick filter configuration.  That has nothing to do with ranking, it's about hiding and showing a sub-set of the data on your board.

Your first screenshot was where you enable ranking, and it was showing as already done.

So, again, where are you trying to "display sub-task with parent task"?

(I see use "Ranking now" thanks for pointing that out) However, I want be able show sub-tasks associated with parent task in a hierarchy format (possibly expand and collapse the view). In open issue view 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 18, 2016

Yes, I know what you're trying to see, but you still have not explained where you want to see this.  What do you mean by "in open issue view"?

I want to be able to see this in "Issues" for each project. And would like to know if I can view this format on my dashboard filter also. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 18, 2016

I'm sorry, but "in issues for each project" tells us nothing about where you want to see this.

I'm not sure what "format" you are looking for, but a dashboard filter can easily include and display sub-tasks, and that has nothing to do with ranking

OK....I don't think we are on the same page. I want to be able to display Sub task associated with Parent task... On the current attachment I can't tell what sub-task is associated to what task unless i click on the task to view detail.jira3.PNG

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 18, 2016

Ok, that view is the "issue navigator" which is designed to show you the results of a filter.

The simple list on the left really is very simple and just lists the results, ordered by whatever you have selected for ordering.  It's not really aware of parent/subtask stuff, it just lists your issues in the order chosen.

I often write or install a simple "parent" scripted field which effectively adds "parent" to the sort order, which then at least groups them together in here, but this is not the place Atlassian generally intend parent/subtasks to be shown.   Sorting the list by rank might work quite well here though, because sub-tasks belong to their parents and hence have the same rank, so they should be grouped if you select to order by rank here.

Thanks for that clarification, but sorting don't quit work..However can you show me how to create and add the script and where does Atlassian intend to view task and sub-task? thanks!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 18, 2016

As sub-tasks belong to parents, the general ida is that you'd work with sub-tasks within them - the best display of sub-tasks for most purposes is within the parent issues.  They are still issues though, so you can still report on and use them everywhere else.

The script I used in the past (and the add-on I wrote, which is essentially the same code) relies on Script Runner.  It doesn't do a lot more than being a scripted field with an output based on the pseudo-code:

if (issue is a subtask type)
  $issue.getParentIssue.getKey() + $issue.getParentIssue.getSummary()
else
  $issue.getKey() + $issue.getSummary()
fi

Suggest an answer