It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Edit options in System field

Hi All,

For custom fields, We can edit the options by configuring custom fields. Is there any way to edit system fields information.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Anil

1 answer

0 votes
Alex Christensen Community Leader Monday

There are some things you definitely can't do to these system fields - you can't rename system fields, for example.

If you're trying to update the values/options for these system fields, that depends on the field.

• The versions fields of "Fix Version/s" and "Affect Version/s" take values from a project's configured Releases/Versions, so the values in this field will depend on the project the issue is a part of.
  • The Component/s field is similar to the versions fields - components are defined per project, so the values in this field depend on the project the issue is a part of.
  • Labels are global values and can be used/created by any user in any project.
  • Priorities per project are determined by the Priority scheme used in that project.

If this doesn't answer your question, what kind of changes are you wanting to make to system fields?

Hi Alex,

Thank you for your reply.

I want to edit options in "Labels" field. 

Alex Christensen Community Leader Monday

Labels in Jira are pretty much free-form. Any user in your Jira instance can create a label or use an existing label. There's very little governance around labels, and I don't really recommend using labels for anything other than short-term categorization/reporting. Labels shouldn't be used for anything permanent, in my opinion.

Like Anil likes this

Can we edit options at DB level ? 

Alex Christensen Community Leader 3 hours ago

The Jira database should never be modified directly. Doing so can have significant negative ramifications on the health of your Jira instance.

For the Labels field, if at least one issue in your entire Jira instance is using a label option, that label option will be available in your entire Jira instance. The only way to remove a label value is to remove that label option from all issues in your instance. Even so, there's nothing stopping any user from just recreating the label option since the Label field is completely free form and available for anyone to add any value they want.

Why are you wanting to remove label value options? It sounds like you're trying to implement something permanent, and I don't really recommend using the Label field for any type of permanent categorization. I'd opt for custom field with pre-determined values instead.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted in Jira Core

How to manage many similar workflows?

I have multiple projects that use variations of the same base workflow. The variations depend on the requirements of the project or issue type. The variations mostly come in the form of new statuses ...

1,599 views 8 2
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you