Edit Fields Variable Expansion in JIRA Automation Plugin

jabybit July 16, 2016

JIRA Automation Plugin, the Edit Fields screen mentions

If you allow variable expansion, you are able to manipulate fields in a more dynamic way.
  • You can use the default fields, like: $issue.summary, $issue.description and $issue.assignee.name
  • You can use custom fields, by providing their ID, for example: $customfields.get(10000)
  • To assign a value to a customfield, you can use: customfield_10000=Example: $issue.summary
  • To prepend a value from a customfield before the summary, you could do use: summary=$customfields.get(10000) $issue.summary
  • Text and number fields are currently the only supported custom fields

Where can I get a full list of these variables? This looks to be very handy.

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Matej K
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 17, 2016

We are inserting the whole issue object into the Velocity renderer. Most of built-in fields should work (such as priority etc). You may be able to use similar variables as in email templates. Even branching is possible, same as in other Velocity files.

jabybit July 18, 2016

@Matej Konecny

Thank you for the response.  

Objects that are referable by JIRA Automation Plugin

I'm not a programmer, but I think I the two "objects" that JIRA Automation Plugin sets are issue and custom fields (basically, those are additional fields for issues, in addition to the built-in fields).

EditIssueAction.java Excerpt:

context.put("issue", issue);
        context.put("customfields", new CustomFieldValueRetriever(customFieldManager, issue));

Issue Fields

Are these the places to find the built-in fields?

Branching

What is branching? Is that like $issue.reporter? In fact, what I am trying to do is get to a reporter's group, or a reporter's custom properties. I will post that question separately. Thanks again.

0 votes
Matej K
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 25, 2016

Fields

The issue object is passed as a GenericValue (GV) and Velocity uses public Getters to derive appropriate method similar to the logic here:

issue.getSummary() -> $issue.summary
issue.getPriority().getName() -> $issue.priority.name (I think, never tested)

Basically, object of type https://docs.atlassian.com/jira/latest/com/atlassian/jira/issue/MutableIssue.html is passed, so in theory all methods starting with get* should work.

Branching

You can use standard Velocity formatting template, look at this:

customfield_14080=#if($customfields.get(14080) == 'Urgency 5')13080#elseif($customfields.get(14080) == 'Urgency 4')13081#elseif($customfields.get(14080) == 'Urgency 3')13082#elseif($customfields.get(14080) == 'Urgency 2')13083#end

Make sure it's on one line though smile

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events