Duplicate Custom Field Creating Conflicts in Workflow Conditions

David Willox February 13, 2017

Hi All,

I have just recently experienced an unusual issue with our JIRA workflows and screens. 
In our custom field library we have a field called "Environment". This field is associated with several screens and is used in workflow conditions to channel each item down specific workflow branches using the field value is = or != condition. 
However, this behaviour has suddenly stopped working. Transitions using this condition no longer display in the issue view. 

I have noticed that in each screen using the "Environment" field there is a second row for "Environment" (as though there are two fields) although this second field is invisible on the screen when creating an item, nor is this second field listed in our custom fields page or listed in the field configuration schemes. I have removed the second value from the screen and confirmed that the only field added to the screen is the correct one. Having done this I can see that the second phantom field can be re-added. 
I can find no trace of this second "Environment" field anywhere in our system except when configuring a screen. It has no discernible field ID.

When viewing a successfully configured workflow in XML this is how the condition displays: 
/condition>
<condition type="class">
<arg name="conditionList">3</arg>
<arg name="comparisonType">1</arg>
<arg name="class.name">com.googlecode.jsu.workflow.condition.ValueFieldCondition</arg>
<arg name="fieldValue">UAT</arg>
<arg name="fieldsList">customfield_11663</arg>

When viewing a workflow where the condition is not performing as expected we see the following: 
<condition type="class">
<arg name="conditionList">3</arg>
<arg name="comparisonType">1</arg>
<arg name="class.name">com.googlecode.jsu.workflow.condition.ValueFieldCondition</arg>
<arg name="fieldValue">UAT</arg>
<arg name="fieldsList">environment</arg>
</condition>

When setting up the condition using the "Value Field" condition option the "Environment" field listed in the Field select list does not include a description of the field type in parenthesis next to it unlike all other fields in the list.

I have deleted the conditions using this field and then re-added several times without success. Since I am the only user in our business who develops our JIRA issues and workflows I can confirm that no other field has ever been created with the "Environment" name.

Please can someone help me look into this curious issue.

Thanks,

David

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 13, 2017

There's a system field called Environment.  That explains the duplicate in some places and why it does not appear in your list of custom fields.  It's a simple free-text box, like description.

I would rename your Environment field to something else so that you can differentiate it from the system field.  At least while you are doing config work.  Call it "EnVironment" or "Environment."

David Willox February 15, 2017

Hi Nic,

Thanks for this, the solution you described looks very promising so far.

David

0 votes
David Willox February 16, 2017

To clarify on Nic's answer should anyone else find this issue the system default "Environment" field caused a conflict in the workflow conditions. Because the names were the same the field picker could not distinguish between the two leading to the discrepancies identified in the XML files as shown above. 

Renaming the custom field removed this conflict immediately. All value field conditions automatically accept the name change, however, be aware that you will have to manually update any scripted validators and filters with the new field value.

Suggest an answer