I have just recently experienced an unusual issue with our JIRA workflows and screens.
In our custom field library we have a field called "Environment". This field is associated with several screens and is used in workflow conditions to channel each item down specific workflow branches using the field value is = or != condition.
However, this behaviour has suddenly stopped working. Transitions using this condition no longer display in the issue view.
I have noticed that in each screen using the "Environment" field there is a second row for "Environment" (as though there are two fields) although this second field is invisible on the screen when creating an item, nor is this second field listed in our custom fields page or listed in the field configuration schemes. I have removed the second value from the screen and confirmed that the only field added to the screen is the correct one. Having done this I can see that the second phantom field can be re-added.
I can find no trace of this second "Environment" field anywhere in our system except when configuring a screen. It has no discernible field ID.
When viewing a successfully configured workflow in XML this is how the condition displays:
When viewing a workflow where the condition is not performing as expected we see the following:
When setting up the condition using the "Value Field" condition option the "Environment" field listed in the Field select list does not include a description of the field type in parenthesis next to it unlike all other fields in the list.
I have deleted the conditions using this field and then re-added several times without success. Since I am the only user in our business who develops our JIRA issues and workflows I can confirm that no other field has ever been created with the "Environment" name.
Please can someone help me look into this curious issue.
There's a system field called Environment. That explains the duplicate in some places and why it does not appear in your list of custom fields. It's a simple free-text box, like description.
I would rename your Environment field to something else so that you can differentiate it from the system field. At least while you are doing config work. Call it "EnVironment" or "Environment."
To clarify on Nic's answer should anyone else find this issue the system default "Environment" field caused a conflict in the workflow conditions. Because the names were the same the field picker could not distinguish between the two leading to the discrepancies identified in the XML files as shown above.
Renaming the custom field removed this conflict immediately. All value field conditions automatically accept the name change, however, be aware that you will have to manually update any scripted validators and filters with the new field value.
Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.Learn more
Every time you release software, there's a bit of risk – that there's a bug, that something breaks, or that the feature doesn't resonate with customers. Feature flagging helps make high stakes s...
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!Find a group
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!
Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.Start an AUG
You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs