Does it make sense to have more than one JIRA Development environments?

Charalambos Hadjichristodoulou September 21, 2016

Hello everyone,

Please excuse my ignorance but I have to ask this. My organization has been using JIRA (v 6.3.15) for a while now.

Initially only one person was involved in developing projects on the platform and working on our DEVELOPMENT instance (only a couple of projects were created, deployed and used extensively within our PRODUCTION environment).

We have now reached a stage where 6 ppl are constantly developing new projects (of significant complexity and criticality) on the SAME Dev instance concurrently.

The other day, one of the developers used sth or some feature that caused ScriptRunner plugin to crash and as a result we lost the ability to Create issues in all of the projects available in DEV, including the ones being worked on by other developers. As a result all other project development efforts were delayed as everyone was trying to find out what went wrong. We really wish to prevent such a situation from occurring in the future.

Am i right in thinking that the only way to address this (besides properly identifying what went wrong and addressing it in the future) is to have more than one DEV environments operational so that we may eliminate chances any similar delays in the future?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Peter Geshev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 22, 2016

Hi Charalambos,

It depends on your specific use case, but in order for the developers to have absolute freedom each of them should have their own development instance on which that they may try new things and break the instance freely, without their actions affecting the other developers. 

Regards,

Peter

Suggest an answer