Does Jira support budgeting?

Heinz Erhard March 2, 2016

We are looking for a project management tool that provides for accompanying our issues with planned and actual budget. And we want to get reports on how good we performed in regard to time and budget.

We also want to have an initial workflow for the controlling department to evaluate and acknowledge/reject launching to develop on an issue.

Moreover, we have branches around the globe and we might want to have separate tenants.

Is this all possible with Jira?

5 answers

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

4 votes
Answer accepted
Danny Zuccaro
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 3, 2016

I believe what your looking to do is supported by Portfolio. Here is a link to an overview - Portfolio. Otherwise there are add ons that manage budgets - Tempo comes to mind. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 3, 2016

Portfolio handles resourcing and planning but not quite the money behind them.

Tempo Books is probably closer to a budgetary tool, as it lets you put monetary costs on resources.

Like Bill Caswell likes this
Heinz Erhard March 3, 2016

Thanks to both of you for your brilliant help! I'll have a look at Tempo Books then.

Tatiana Moreno February 8, 2017

Hi, what tool are you using today for manage the budget? Thanks.

Darren Patel January 19, 2018

Also interested in this discussion?  Any success with Tempo Books?  Tried Portfolio - didn't really see anything in there for budget tracking... TIA

Shawn Masters
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 1, 2018

Tempo was a waste of time and resources...we are actively looking for a budget management solution now 

Yi Voon Phan November 23, 2018

@Shawn MastersHi, any idea so far?

Shawn Masters
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 23, 2018

Nothing concrete yet. We have a tool called Smartsheets which is like Excel that allows the PMs to atleast pulls numbers for their reports to the Exec teams. My company may look into assigning a Dev resource to building an in house tool for this. All the alternative budgeting tools want you to have Jira in conjunction with some confusing website portal that requires immense amounts of configuration. 

Aleksey Polivanyy January 7, 2019

This thread has tons of views, I think budgeting is the pain for Jira users. What about to do something more than the just in-house program? :)

Like # people like this
Dourget Einhorn January 26, 2019

Is it possible to integrate tempo with portfolio for jira?

for example synchronize teams and roles between the two add ons; 

Like Andras Simon likes this
Shawn Masters
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 28, 2019

You can to an extent but not for budgeting purposes. Portfolio is more about capacity/road map planning ...atleast from what I've seen in our instance; if you happen to come across this sort of use case definitely let me know! 

Like Andras Simon likes this
Matthias Pospiech February 7, 2019

Hello, I can not find tempo books, only tempo budget. But to my understanding this only works together with the tempo PM suite.

We are looking for a budget planning tool that works together with Big Picture.

No budget planning tool means basically no use of jira in terms of project planning.

Like # people like this
Shawn Masters
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 7, 2019

I would advise something like accello ...Tempo is one of the WORST vendors for Atlassian products Ive encountered. 

Matthias Pospiech February 7, 2019

@[deleted]: I understand your comment as to not use JIRA, but instead acello. We have several competitors of JIRA on our list we want to check. However we still want to learn if JIRA is able to perform reasonable enough in Project Management requirements.

Side note: Why is this question 'solved' ??? I do not see a solution in this thread.

Like # people like this
Achiles Camilo March 21, 2019

@Shawn Masters I'm looking for a solution where I can manage my projects and also the Service Desk... It seems that JIRA platform would solve my problems... 

The only point that it lacks is the absence of budget/costs control. Everywhere appoints the Tempo as the only solution for this problem, but based on your comment I'm afraid to take this shot. Could you describe more about the problems that you faced? 

Shawn Masters
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 21, 2019

In the cloud version of their software we have been falsely promised budgeting software and improvements. They have repeatedly said over the last few year "feature X will be ready soon!" and here we are Years down the road without even an update. The support is all over seas and takes several weeks to get back to you. The data stored by tempo in Jira cloud is completely isolated and partially masked so you cant interact with it very easily via the RestAPI. 

The solution we implented was an Approval project that would collect initial numbers and assign a team the work. Then we export the hours worked into Tableau where our development team put together a series of screens to calculate and display financial analytics and cost estimations of Active work. It was a bit painful at first but now that it is configured and working it is pretty streamlined. 

Like # people like this
Andy O'Driscoll July 15, 2019

Still no answer to this I am guessing. What a disappointment. Jira has so many features that I am interested in, but without forecasting and budgetary capabilities, it is effectively useless to my organisation. I guess we are going to have to look at some alternatives.

Like Alex Larini likes this
Shawn Masters
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 15, 2019

Yeah we never found a proper solution for this. We use a combination of Smart Sheets + a Jira Addon called Abacus.  

The project manager manually inputs values from timesheets submitted to them into a special project we built and Abacus adds formulae functions to the project. They then export the tickets to a third party tool, Smart Sheets,  which allows them to whip up whatever charts and graphs the Product Owners require of them.  Not the most elegant solution but its less work than before and has sufficed so far. 

Tempo is still blowing smoke about having "budgeting software" going on 5 years of that now 

2 votes
Jacob de Lichtenberg June 18, 2020

I think Forecast has what you’re looking for. Connecting projects, you can freely pass data between Jira and Forecast to get the needed insights. The integration lets your team stay in the comfort of Jira, while you can move onto a more visual, structured solution with real-time visibility into project financials.

In Forecast, calculating a project budget goes hand in hand with having your team members working on the tasks. When the team starts registering time, you begin to see how the project is progressing based on two important metrics – the planned and actual cost. 

Specifically, you can track how good you are performing in regard to time and budget to avoid cost overruns. Plus, the platform cuts both views - the financial performance of the individual project (in a Budget tab), or a portfolio overview of your financial data across multiple projects (Financial Portfolio Report).

Work completed in Jira is reflected directly in Forecast, and vice versa, allowing you to monitor how changes in scope, schedule, and roles affect your budget.

Hope this helps to solve your budget needs!

0 votes
Joseph Stamatiades February 10, 2020

MS project has cost management integrated into the product.

0 votes
Servicedesk January 23, 2020

Hello,

We just released Budgetizer, an expense tracker to visualize issues cost in real time.

The app enables portfolios and programs level to organize issues and set members hourly rates to track cost of epics, features and stories.

Here is the link to the app : https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1221840/budgetizer?hosting=cloud&tab=overview

Feel free to contact us in case of any feature request as our priority is to improve the app and add more useful functionalities.

Best regards,

Sebastien De Luca
#productowner
https://ugubi.io

0 votes
Dawson Smith January 25, 2019

I would like to be able to tracking spending related to  projects and annual renewals.  Perhaps confluence is a better option if it was just myself needing to view the information but i would like to also track spending related to helpdesk requests in Service Desk so the requester can see their receipts for the purchase being made for them in their portal.

Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 22, 2019

I currently use an Excel sheet for budget tracking; I have EV formulas baked in. I'd love to find a way to track material and vendor costs along with resource time/costs in Jira.

Sabeen Dakhan September 16, 2019

How are you tracking constant budget changes in your tracker?

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events