Does Jira Software Server maintain the same capabilities as Jira Core

Bryan Fishell April 21, 2016

Hi, 

I'm trying to determine if with JIRA Software Server if I can do all the same things as JIRA Core as well as the developer specifics so that I can determine which product(s) to try before I buy.

The end goal will be to have a single JIRA Server instance for developers as well as for business/operations, but I need to know what licenses would be involved to accomplish both. 

Thanks

1 answer

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 21, 2016

They have different capabilities and hence the different pricing. Features like JIRA Agile boards, Release Hub, Development Panel on issues etc are available only on JIRA Softwares.

See https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwareserver070/jira-applications-overview-762877655.html for the full list.

Having said that, it is still a single instance, with both applications in the same tomcat container. You can have different number of users licensed to each application though.

Bryan Fishell April 25, 2016

So if I have a team of 5 JIRA software developers and a team of 5 users for business-like workflow, I would need 5 licenses for each, respectively, correct?

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 26, 2016

Yes, right. Users with Software license already have JIRA core licenses. For your 5 business users who doesn't need Software features, you can get just the JIRA Core licenses.

Suggest an answer