Do not show versions on agile board when empty

Frits van der Holst October 7, 2015

I was wondering if it is possible to only show those versions in the backlog that actually have issues (based on the board filter). 

Currently I see versions from projects my team does not work on. I do not want to change the filter to only show specific projects since I would have to adapt this every time. 

For Epics this is possible (only show the epics when a version is selected), but there are too many versions shown now not relevant.

I cant show an image cause I get an "http error". 

5 answers

0 votes

I.o.w. if additional assignee is team then project version should be shown...

0 votes

Well actually when you select a version, only those epics related to it are black, the rest ks grayed out. And for this i changed the css so the greyed out epics are not shown anymore. But there is no such thing for versions i guess?

Nicolas Bourdages
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 7, 2015

That was a nice idea. I never seen anything that grays out versions (or does anything else that could be picked up with the css). Selecting an epic doesn't do that, and neither does applying a quick filter.

was afraid of that :-) well, the PO just needs to cope with that fact then ;-) solution for the epics can be found in the comments of this article: https://confluence.atlassian.com/agile/jira-agile-resources/jira-agile-faq/how-do-i-hide-epics-which-are-not-planned-for-a-selected-version

M O August 11, 2017

TASS, would you be willing to share the code change you used for the CSS to hide rather than grey out the Epics that are not associated with the selected version?  That would solve an enormous problem I have with Jira now... on some screens, the colour and contrast differences aren't enough to see which versions and epics are actually selected!

Cheers in advance!

0 votes
Nicolas Bourdages
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 7, 2015

Ok, so basically the versions and epics are those of all projects to which issues in your board belong. If you have even one issue from project A, you will get all non-released, non-archived versions from project A.

I don't think there's a way around that, short of coding your own plugin. Your board has no way to know which versions are applicable to your board. This feature completely bypasses the filter's restrictions.

Maybe you can add a suggestion to Atlassian's JIRA? Something like this falls along the lines of what you're looking for.

0 votes

Dear Nicolas,

Thanks for the answer. In fact our filter already contains such a specified field (additional assignee which is filled with the team name). But still I get projects that that team is not working on. Basically i filter on the category first and then on the additional assignee field. The issues do not appear if the team is not in that field indeed. But on the left of your backlog you have the "epics" and "versions" tab. I always get all versions even if there are no issues in those versions related to the filter....

EDIT -  I forgot to mention that some projects have multiple teams but not all issues in a project can be picked up by every team.....

Kr,

Reinder

0 votes
Nicolas Bourdages
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 7, 2015

Several ways you could do that.

If you have the Scriptrunner plugin, I suggest you use a project naming convention and do your query with projectMatch(), which allows you to only get the projects you need based on a regular expression.

For instance, in our setup, we have about 300 projects, half of which are games. We named all games project in the format "Games - gamename ", so that the filter for a Games board would be "project in projectMatch("^Games"). We never need to change that query, since any new project follows that convention and gets included automatically.

If project naming can't be relied upon, you need to find something that all your issues have in common. It doesn't even have to be a project. It could be components, labels, a naming convention in version numbers, a group in which the reporters belong. Again, the Scriptrunner plugin could help with that.

Basically, you need to get creative and realize that boards do not contain projects, they contain issues

Hope this helps.

Suggest an answer