Do Portfolio intiatives work with other add ons like Tempo and Structure?

Robert Anthony January 23, 2017

Hey Folks,

I think I know the answer to this, but I just want to verify:

My company is using a server installation (7.1) with Portfolio, Tempo Timesheets, and Structure, in addition to the standard JIRA Software. While in Tempo, when I view an "Initiative" issue type, the hours for all the epics (and subtasks) I have placed under the issue do not display. I am assuming that this is because "Initiative" is really only "functional" within the "Planning" aspect of Portfolio, correct? If so, does this mean that if I want to display total hours I would instead need to just track against Epics and below within Tempo? Thanks!

1 answer

2 votes
Robert Leitch [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 27, 2017

Hi Robert,

Regarding Structure - we added support for Portfolio's hierarchy links (Parent Link field) in version 3.4 so you can now recreate your Portfolio Plans (Initiative > Epic > Story > Sub-task) inside structures.

I've written up the basic procedure here - Track Portfolio Plans in Real Time with Structure.

The integration is two-way, so you can move Epics between higher levels (Initiatives) by dragging and dropping in Structure, and the change will be reflected in Portfolio.

Cheers,

Robert

Robert Anthony January 30, 2017

Hi Robert, Thank you so much for your answer.

"Stay tuned for the next instalment - Track Multiple Portfolio Plans in Structure."

I am VERY interested in this. Any idea when this post will be up? Is the functionality already there?

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 31, 2017

Hi Robert, great to hear that!

All the functionality is there. I hope to get it written up before the end of this week and I'll post a link here when it's ready.

The gist is - there are two main ways to do it:

a) a single structure containing a folder for each Plan, and simply repeating the procedure already described under each folder to pull the plans in, or

b) a structure for each plan and a separate 'master' structure, again with a folder for each plan but this time just pulling in the other structures using the structure Inserter.

The net result will be the same and I think the choice of approach will mostly come down to preference.

Robert Anthony January 31, 2017

Robert,

Thank so much. I've run into another small problem.

(Please bear in mind my last experience with Structure was when it was still drag and drop, the automations are new to me, plus everything 3.0 smile )

I have 3 filters, so I created a folder for each filter and then followed the instructions on the blog for each folder, but I just ended up with 3 copies. How can I pull each initiative into a separate folder?

Rising Star
Rising Star
February 1, 2017

It sounds strange that you should end up with the same contents in each folder if you configured automation in each folder for a different filter..

Putting individual Initiatives into separate folders (as opposed to putting Plans into separate folders) requires a different approach, building from Initiative level downwards. It's also the topic for an upcoming post smile but the short story long is:

1. Create folders for your Initiatives and put the Initiatives in them manually (open the second panel, search for Initiatives in there and pull them over manually)
  2. Add all automation at root level so it applies to everything in the structure: 
    1. add a Parent Link extender  (Automation -> Extend -> Child Issues (Portfolio)...), this will put Epics under Initiatives
    2. Add Epic-Story extender (Automation -> Extend -> Stories under Epics...), this will put Stories under Epics
    3. Add Subtask extender (Automation -> Extend -> Sub-tasks...) to pull in Subtasks under Stories.

The structure should now look something like this: 

image2017-2-1 15:3:38.png

Now any time you put an Initiative anywhere in the structure (not just in a folder), it will get extended with Epics, Stories and Sub-tasks. Similarly any Epic or Story you add will also be extended all the way down to Sub-tasks.

As for getting identical results when you were trying to put different Plans in different folders, it sounds like something's misconfigured there. Could you send a screenshot of your automation for two different folders to me at robert@almworks.com?

Hmm, an afterthought... you said "I have 3 filters, so I created a folder for each filter" - maybe this is the problem - for each Plan-folder, you need to pull in issues from the sources used for that exact Plan... does each of those filters represent the source for a single Plan in its entirety?

Rising Star
Rising Star
February 10, 2017

Hi again Robert, I hope you managed to get round that okay and I apologise for the long delay with writing up the second part. Here it is, hot off the press - Track Multiple Portfolio Plans in Real Time.

Suggest an answer