Do I need to upgrade the ojdbc?.jar library for Oracle 12c?

David Grierson March 1, 2017

We are presently running JIRA version 6.4.13 with an Oracle 11.2g database as the back-end (Oracle Database 11g Enterprise Edition Release 11.2.0.4.0 - 64bit Production With the Partitioning option)

We are connecting to this using the ojdbc6.jar (Oracle JDBC driver 11.2.0.3.0).

In preparation for upgrading JIRA to version 7.x we need to upgrade our Oracle instance from 11.2g to 12c.

According to the instructions for Connecting JIRA to Oracle - I should be able to continue to use the same version of the ojdbc?.jar to access the upgraded database.

1. Can anyone confirm whether I also need to also upgrade the ojdbc6.jar to ojdbc7.jar?
  2. Does anyone know of any documentation describing specific requirements for upgrading Oracle 12c for JIRA?

Cheers.

1 answer

0 votes
Jack [AppFox]
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 2, 2017
David Grierson March 2, 2017

I guess you're saying don't upgrade to the ojdbc7.jar then.

smile

Jack [AppFox]
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 2, 2017

The text seemed to disappear on that post!

I use version Oracle OJDBC 12.1.0.2 with JIRA 7.1.0 as it avoids 'Protocol Violation's errors during standard operation that the packaged versions seems to experience on 12c. You would need to test this against your version  of JIRA if you intend to swap before your upgrade.

However, worth noting the caveat listed - if you need to use XML Export, you will need to swap back to 12.1.0.1 temporarily.

Oracle is still not the best experience vs. Postgres.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events