Do I have to manually update Jira Core?

Justin Campo November 9, 2017

Just renewed my starter licence, jira software updated properly but jira core is still at 7.1.9 and says "JIRA Core 7.5.2 is now available" with a download button only.  Why can't I update it automatically do I really have to go through the manual process?

1 answer

0 votes
Deyves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 9, 2017

Hi Justin,

Yes, you have to manually update the Jira Core or you have the option to install a fresh Jira Software 7.5.2 and this will come bundled with a Jira Core with the same version.
You can take a look on this link where we have more details:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/how-to-update-jira-properly-794365148.html

Justin Campo November 9, 2017

Thank you for the fast reply.  Your link is really what confused me as it it seems to imply that I have a choice.  Based on your statement it seems I have to manually do it.  Do you have instructions on this process?

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 10, 2017

Hi Justin,

There are a couple of different methods you can follow depending on the operating system Jira is running on.  A complete overview can be found on Upgrading JIRA applications.

Jira Core can't be updated in browser directly like Jira Software or Jira Service Desk sometimes can.  This is largely because the Core installation package contains all the underlying pieces that make Jira works, like Apache Tomcat (the webserver hosting the Jira site).  Which each update to Core, it's possible that Tomcat could be updated to a newer version which in turn requires that the site be shutdown in order to update that component.   That requirement is likely a factor in the inability to then update Core directly in browser.  Whereas updating Jira Software or Jira Service Desk are plugins to this main Jira Core that can (sometimes) be updated directly in the browser GUI.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Andy

Suggest an answer