Display 'Time in Status'

Calvin Hoot February 28, 2016

I am trying to make decisions on class of service from the board or issue view before digging in to the control chart. 

So far, I have added a custom 'Time in Status' field called 'StatusDuration' and administered it to display in 2 projects. I believe this is different than the '[CHART] Time in Status' that is referenced in time-in-status.

However, no StatusDuration is visible as part of the issues that I'm looking at. I have enabled the JIRA Charting Plugin mentioned in the thread above which shows "time in source status"  as part of a new tab called transitions, but that only aggregates the history and doesn't show how long it's been in the current status. 

Even if it's not available in JQL (which would be even better), I understood it to be available as it lets me associate it with screens: 

StatusDuration.png

10 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
joshloe
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 21, 2018

Hello, the "Time in Status" or "[CHART] Time in Status" fields are not editable and therefore will not appear on issue screens. The field just needs to be assigned to the appropriate issue screen(s) and are intended to provide data to the "Average Time in Status" gadget. We've checked this on a test instance and we have been able to get the "Average Time in Status" gadget working . We used "[CHART] Time in Status" in our tests. For more information on the gadget, please see - How to use Average Time in Status gadget. Custom Field type 'Time in Status' is only useful when used together with the JIRA charting plugin.

6 votes
Jonathon S October 15, 2019

Time/Days in Status is a very common request so I spent a little time ironing out a reasonably simple solution.  It does require an add-on, but it's the free version of Automation for Jira.  This best suits Jira Server, but does work on Cloud as well.  Just be aware that the free of version of the cloud add-on has a monthly limit on rule executions.  

Quick, easy, and (kinda) free way to create a "Days in Status" field for Jira Server or Cloud 

Monica Ross October 24, 2019

@Jonathon S - this was so easy to follow and worked like a charm!! thank you so so much for putting this together. The only thing that could have made this easier would have been if you including instructions on how to find the customfield id (or a link to a site/thread with instructions) - other than that, this was great and I think will be very useful for the people on this thread.   

Thank you!! 

Jonathon S October 25, 2019

thanks for the feedback!  I went in and made sure the link to the customfield ID instructions are much more visible :)

Monica Ross November 11, 2019

Hey Jonathan - I'm wondering if you have any advice for where I may have botched the setup here, as I'm not seeing the correct days in status on my cards or in my search. It either shows me an issue has been in the status for "1" day or for "18,211" days- and neither are correct haha. 

Any ideas on where I could/should troubleshoot this?

Like Ian Allen likes this
Alexandra Wiechers November 17, 2019

Can anyone point me to the link for the free Automation for Jira?  If not, I have Script Runner and am wondering if I can do the same thing using that?   Thanks!

JD November 21, 2019

Jonathon,

I don't seem to have access to that Confluence page and it says ".....doesn't have access to Confluence on jonathonsenese.atlassian.net."

Could you make the page public or paste in the info here?

Thanks!

Like # people like this
Shubham_Srivastava November 26, 2019

Me too!

Lisa McNab December 11, 2019

I'm having the same issue, no access to the confluence page.

Like Wendy Barrington likes this
Jonathon S December 11, 2019

@Calvin Hoot 
@Lisa McNab 
@Shubham_Srivastava 
@JD 
@Alexandra Wiechers 
@Monica Ross 

Hello all, apologies for the delay - the access issue has been resolved :)

For those experiencing issues with the calculated date, it might be helpful if you post the smart value function you've written (shown in step 4.3)

Feel free to comment on the actual page itself as that might allow me to more quickly respond.

Like # people like this
Ian Allen February 4, 2020

{{now.diff({{issue.customfield_000000}}).abs.days}}

It looks like the formulas may have updated which was causing the issue of either 1 or 18211.  The above appears to be working for me.  Just keep in mind it doesn't look at just business days so be sure to adjust accordingly. 

Assia Touati March 19, 2020

what if i want to display the hours spent in the status ? is there a way to convert your solution from days to hours ??? thanks 

Ian Allen March 19, 2020

i believe that replacing abs.days with abs.hours would work 

Like # people like this
Assia Touati March 19, 2020

@Ian Allen  ok i'll try 

Philip Armour March 25, 2020

Hi @Jonathon S , the page access has stopped working again. I had access the other day but not now. Thanks in advance,

Philip

kachapman March 25, 2020

Hi, i cant access this page either.

Chethana Harve April 1, 2020

Hi @Jonathon S unable to access this page anymore. Please can you enable it.

Thanks!

Yasin Halici April 1, 2020

Hi, @Jonathon S cant access the page. 

al_sinoy April 4, 2020

I would love to have access to the page too, if possible. This would be great insight for me.

Katherine Lord April 8, 2020

I would like access to the page too please

phil April 9, 2020

+1 @Jonathon S . would be really great if you could grant access to the page! Thx a lot!

Jonathon S April 9, 2020

@phi @Katherine Lord @al_sinoy @Yasin Halici @Chethana Harve @kachapman 

apologies!  should be all good now.

Please note:  For those unaware, Atlassian purchased Automation for Jira and has begun offering the automation rules described in my how-to guide as an out-of-the-box cloud feature.  I have not verified which version or tier this applies to but, as far as I know, the tool itself will still function as described in my guide (just some of us won't need to install the add-on anymore).  I will update the page soon once I've dug a little deeper into this!

Jasna Vucekovic May 7, 2020

Hi @Jonathon S 

what if I want to have hours in the status "in Progress", not days. I mean I have updated the rule "Days in status" where I have updated the JQL query in the "Schedule". But how can I make this work with hours? It is not totally clear to me.

Thanks in advance and for the great guidance.

Best, Jasna

Pit Fischer June 18, 2020

@Jonathon S : THX for the work man! 

Laura Bennett January 12, 2021

@Jonathon S followed your solution steps today and it worked a treat! Thank you so much for sharing this, it's been a real lifesaver.

Jonathon S June 7, 2021

Hi everyone, glad this has helped some people!  

However, please note: at this point, this guide is likely out-of-date for some people. 

Due to (how quickly) changes to automation for jira and cloud in general have been rolled out, I am no longer confident these steps will accomplish exactly what it was initially created to do.  I will try to update it soon!  

Darius November 17, 2022

Hello, I can't access the page. Can you let me in? ;)

Nagarjuna Busireddypally March 14, 2023

Hello @Jonathon S 

Can you please provide access

Thanks

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 15, 2023

I don't think it exists any more.  Please see the comment from 7/6/2021, which was the last post made by the author.

Nagarjuna Busireddypally March 16, 2023

can anyone having access to the space provide the steps overhere please

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 16, 2023

There isn't anyone.  It's gone away.

5 votes
Mark Kern [SaaSJet] June 6, 2019

@Joseph_Patin 

There are no built-in solutions for cloud version now.

But this problem can be solved by using an app from Atlassian Marketplace, like Time in status for Jira Cloud by SaaSJet created by my team.

Try its free trial version and appreciate all of its benefits for your project management process.

Best regards,
Mark 
SaaSJet

Sam Ferguson June 7, 2019

@Emre Toptancı _OBSS_ 

Can I use Time in Status with JQL filters to show the average amount of time a group of issues spent in a given status?

For example, based on a filter of 100 issues, what was the average time those issues were 'in progress'? Additionally, are there any ways I could visualize this data such as in a Jira Gadget?

Thanks and please let me know,

Sam 

Like Deleted user likes this
Deleted user June 10, 2019

Mark,

With all due respect, your plugin does not resolve this issue in the Cloud version. Having tried it, it does not cleanly report (nor allow for export)  the data from a project's workflow of the Cycle Time (which in effect "Time in Status" is) for each activity state.

Sadly, my trial has expired, and I can't go back and scrounge around for this.

While my trial was active, I did correspond with someone from your company about this, and had left the door open where I would take time from my schedule to walk them through where my concerns lay....I received no response desiring clarification on my part. 

Emre Toptancı _OBSS_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 11, 2019

@Sam Ferguson ,

Yes you can use Time in Status by OBSS to get average durations for issues in a JQL filter. Both server and cloud versions support this.

Considering the fact that average calculation has to go through not all issues but also all issue histories, it can be expensive for your Jira instance if you have a large number of issues. Currently, due to performance considerations, average calculations are intentionally made available only through file exports and REST API. We are working on possible optimizations for average calculations and plan to make this available through Jira UI in future versions.

EmreT

Emre Toptancı _OBSS_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 11, 2019

@[deleted] ,

We are glad to get in contact with you here. Our support team tried to reach you at the beginning of May but could not get a response.

As we said in our response, both Server and Cloud versions of Time in Status allow export of report data in XLS, XLSX and CSV format. The export button is on the far right of the toolbar on the report screen.

We technically can't give you another trial for cloud but we will be happy to extend your trial if you have a Jira Server. You can also see the live demo by going to plugindemo.obss.com.tr

For any questions or feedback, you can reach our support team by sending an e-mail to plugin@obss.com.tr .

Best regards,

EmreT

Mark Kern [SaaSJet] June 11, 2019

@Sam Ferguson  we are planning to develop our add-on "Time in status for Jira Cloud" by SaaSJet. And your case is interesting for us.

Please contact us by support@saasjet.com or write your e-mail adress here.

I will be waiting for your letter!

Sincerely
Mark
SaaSJet

Mark Kern [SaaSJet] June 11, 2019

@[deleted] It looks like you wrote about another plugin. Our application is "Time in status for Jira Cloud" by SaaSJet.
We discussed the export and time format with you. You have sent us a few interesting ideas.
Contact us via support@saasjet.com if your trial period have expired, and we will provide you possibility to continue using the app so you can appreciate all of its benefits:
- Functional for 7 types of reports generation:  Time in Status, Assignee Time, Average Time, Status Entrance Date, Time in Status per Date, Status Count and Transition Count.
- Possibility wiev data as tables and as charts
- Data export 

Regards
Mark
SaaSJet

Zoryana Bohutska _SaaSJet_
Marketplace Partner
September 9, 2019

Hi @Sam Ferguson 

Now you can get the average time in status using our app Time in status for Jira Cloud by SaaSjet.

In the updated version of this add-on you can measure your team delivery with new kinds of reports and also view them as charts (Pie, Bar and Area Charts).

You can try all of the above and much more with the free trial.

Let me know if this is helpful.

2 votes
Kathy Barton
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 22, 2018

Really disappointing that the response to this issue is to remove the option, not actually make it work. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 22, 2018

There's no issue here, just a misunderstanding of what the field does.

Sam October 24, 2018

Hi Nic, 

so is there a way to add a custom field "Time in status" to issue view screen?

Is it possible to do it using Adaptavist ScriptRunner?

Like # people like this
Pam Ross June 13, 2019

I totally agree with Marcelo -- this is just sad that we cant collect the data appropriately -- I need to understand at the issue level - NOT the average -- average gives you false information - UGH

Like # people like this
2 votes
mack reed October 31, 2016

I'm having the same issue in my instance of JIRA Cloud.

• Installed "Time in Status" field
  • Added field to all the screens where I'd like it to appear
  • No joy

I've tried:

•  un/reinstalling
  • deleting the (CHART)Time in Status field that was reported to conflict with this field
  • RTFMing for a good four hours

Is anyone from JIRA reading these requests? Hope someone can help. Time in Status is of critical importance to our management strategy. 

Deleted user April 15, 2019

No, apparently no on inside Atlassian is reading any of this...but that shouldn't stop us documenting the issues.

Like # people like this
1 vote
Medhat Ahmed
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 15, 2023

Hello @Jonathon S 

Can you please provide access

Thanks

1 vote
Timothy_Harris June 26, 2018

A related issue. In our Jira cloud we no longer have the checkbox "Days in Column". Has this functionality been removed? 

Deleted user June 10, 2019

Yes apparently that's been removed.

1 vote
Kathy Barton
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 21, 2018

Ugh, I thought I was doing something wrong. PLEASE HELP!

0 votes
Rahul_RVS_Support
Marketplace Partner
April 7, 2021

Hi All

You may want to try out the plugin, Agile Tools : Epic Tree & Time in Status 

It provides 3 major functionalities in one add-on

• Multiple Time in Status Reports
    • Time in Status
    • Time with Assignee
    • Time in Status with Assignee
    • Time with Assignee per Status
    • Status/Assignee Count
    • Multiple Transition Reports
  • Epic Hierarchy / Sum Up (Standard Jira Hierarchy Epic -> Story -> SubTask)
  • Link Hierarchy / Sum Up (Hierarchy based on your issue link, upto 10 level deep)

TISwA-5-Apr.PNG

Epic Hierarchy Screen_Cloud_Latest.PNG

Link Hierarchy.PNG

0 votes
Joseph_Patin May 31, 2019

Hi there

Are there built-in solutions for cloud version now?

Suggest an answer