Developer/Staging Environments with Jira Cloud

Mark Anderson June 18, 2016

Hi All

how do I go about having a developer/staging environment with the cloud version? I need a place to create and test workflows, etc. and then need to deploy to cloud

Regards

mark

4 answers

1 vote
Peter T
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 18, 2016

Hi Mark,

lets say you got a test and staging environment in the Cloud somehow (the only option I can think of are two 10users/10$ instances), how are you planning to move once created workflows, fields and screens to the production?

Mark Anderson June 19, 2016

My point exactly. Seems I can only export and import between projects on same instance

Like Jorge Colon likes this
Peter T
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 19, 2016

Out-of-the-box JIRA does not provide any capabilities to migrate configuration. There are several add-ons that fit into that niche for example - Configuration Manager for JIRA is the top add-on in the area.

Unfortunately non of the add-ons work for the cloud due to the technical difference of the cloud platform compared to the on-premise.

This is one of the reasons some people prefer the on-premise or other cloud solutions.
So unfortunately the answer of your question is - no, it is not possible.

Cheers,
Peter T

0 votes
Omid H_ October 28, 2019

Is there any option right now to make a full clone of our Jira Cloud existing Production to Jira Dev Cloud (to have the same workflows, configurations, fields ). If yes, how it works?  

Peter T
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 28, 2019

Hi Omid,

at this point there is no other options than the described above. We at Botron are actively working on Configuration Manager for JIRA cloud that will make creating a Testing/Staging environment a breeze.

Watch our marketplace page for updates:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1211611/configuration-manager-for-jira?hosting=server&tab=overview

Cheers,

Peter T

Greg Tripp June 29, 2021

Thanks Peter. I think there is definitely interest in a Configuration Manager for Cloud. Please keep us posted.

0 votes
Mark Anderson June 20, 2016

thanks. i though I read somewhere you get an automatic dev license with a cloud account. (0 day expiry is useless for an production app

Corentin Méhat
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 20, 2016

found here :https://www.atlassian.com/licensing/purchase-licensing#licensing-7 

"Developer licenses are available to existing commercial, academic, and select Starter license holders (not available for cloud products) who wish to deploy non-production installations for use in testing and development of the Atlassian software (e.g. version upgrades, customizations to the software, etc) that should not be done on a live production instance."

0 votes
Corentin Méhat
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 20, 2016

Hello,

it's not a permanent option, but you can export your data from your cloud instance and import them in a server install with an evaluation license (valid for 30 days, extendable to 90). The procedure for the migration is explained here : "Migrating from JIRA Cloud to Server applications".

Another option is to create a new "JIRA on demand" cloud instance also with an evaluation license, but in this case it's only available for 7 days (cf. "Can I evaluate a product for free before purchasing it?" ), following this procedure "How to migrate projects from one JIRA Cloud application to another" .

Best regards,

cm.

Suggest an answer