Deleting unused Dashboards

Rathna January 21, 2016

As an JIRA admin over a period of time, you will find out that there are dashboards / filters / filter subscriptions from users either who left the company or may have been setup by an contractor who does not have access to the system anymore which are scheduled and hogging resources in JIRA to slowdown. What would be a correct / cleaner approach of cleaning up someone else's crap.

2 answers

4 votes
John Pfotzer January 22, 2016

Good morning Rathna, I am doing a lot of exactly what you are asking. Here is what I do:
1) Go to system > shared Items > Shared Dashboards. Start by putting the dashboard in your name.
2) Go to the dashboard and go to Tools then Edit.
3) Check the filters and write the name down, you will want to delete the filters too, eventually.
4) Add the "TEXT" gadget to the dashboard and I use HTML and make big text message and bold some and color some. Add an announcement stating you will be deleting this dashboard in a few weeks, if you need it or want it updated contact  me@comp.com.
5) on that date go back to your dashboard, start by deleting the gadgets, clean them out, then delete the dashboard then...
6) go back to System > Shared items > shared filters, reassign them to you, delete them. (remember you wrote down the names of the filters in the dashboard before you deleted it)
7) then the last step, if you are sure you want to delete the project, delete it.
There all clean, but note: make sure you want to delete the project. You may want to just go to Project under the admin side and remove all the roles, and put you as the admin in all the roles, so you can see the project, but no one else can. So if the past project folks need to check issues or something it is still there, and you can just give them some role permissions so the can see the project and check the data etc.

Hope that helps.

welcome

John  

2 votes
Logan G Hawkes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 21, 2016

I would suggest starting by generating a list of dashboards owned by each departed user, then constructing the URL to each dashboard manually. Some shared dashboards may be favorited by other users, so you may want to transfer ownership instead of deleting them. 

You can pull the list of dashboards out of the database with this query:

mysql (jira@JIRA_PRODUCTION:jiradb443)> select * from portalpage order by USERNAME;

The relevant URL format is: http://jira.initech.com/secure/Dashboard.jspa?selectPageId=$portalPage.ID

Caveat: it's probably safer to do this with a Groovy script or a REST/SOAP call instead of accessing the database directly.

Mario Günter
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 21, 2016

+1 Groovy Script (ScriptRunner Plugin)

A September 6, 2016

what if the dashboard is private?
'edit' is no longer an option; or is there some hacky way to edit it?

like for deleting - I know of: 
http://jira.com/secure/admin/dashboards/DeleteSharedDashboard!default.jspa?dashboardId=11111

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events