Delete plugin caches before JIRA upgrade?

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 10, 2017

Hi All

i am planning to upgrade my JIRA from 6.X to 7.0. 

My question - is it a good practice/recommended to delete the plugin caches before you do the upgrade?

In my opinion, If we delete then it prevents lot of unnecessary error logs during upgrade and guarantees that your indexes will be rebuilt. Correct me if i am wrong.

Rahul

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 10, 2017

It won't hurt but it is not a necessary thing to do. Some things like indexes are always rebuilt during an upgrade. And the plugin cache will be updated when the new version of the plugins are installed.

I can't think of a scenario where I ran into an issue during upgrade due to stale cache. I have come across stale cache issue at other times though and you will find some KB articles around that if you search. 

Would be interested to hear from other experts too on this one. As they say, no two upgrades are the same!

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 17, 2017

Thanks Jobin for the response.

Suggest an answer