Delete option is unavailable for all JIRA issues

Bart Meerveld
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 20, 2016

Nobody can delete an issue in JIRA eventhough they have been given the delete issue permission in the project permission screen. I'm the systemadmin and i can't even delete issues. Is there some option deep within JIRA that can block this?

I've even tried giving the specific user single user permissions to make deleting possible but the button won't appear under 'more'

6 answers

1 vote
MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 21, 2016

Check if the action has been disabled in a system add-on (Admin, Manage Add-ons)

Or if the permission scheme for the project is not the one you think it is

Or some javascript cleverness removing the Delete action, as Nic suggested

0 votes
Anupama Singh January 8, 2018

To bulk delete JIRA issue

1. Search for all issues which you want to delete

2. Tools > Bulk Change > Select All > Delete Issues > Confirm

Note, User should have Project Admin permission and have set permission to delete issue in permission scheme of project in order to bulk delete else delete option will be disabled (NA)

Hope it help!!

Ozzy April 4, 2018

Hello, 

I got same problem, and tried everything that described from here about it. You can check the below post, 

Issue delete

0 votes
Brenda Shu-Hawley July 11, 2017

Was it possible to find the solution? We are having the same issue here ... 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 11, 2017

The only ways to block deletion are:

• Not having the permission in the project
  • Workflow properties on all the status removing the permission
  • Add-ons blocking it

What does the permission helper say?

Like Dharma Ramos likes this
Brenda Shu-Hawley July 11, 2017

Thanks, figured out. I had the Jira admin but not the project role admin.

0 votes
vitaliy zapolskyy
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 22, 2016

What JIRA tells you when you open the issue and use "Admin"->"Permission helper" command?

example here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver071/jira-admin-helper-802593078.html

Bart Meerveld
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 28, 2016

It says i should be able to delete the issue, that i have the permission due to my administrator rights.

0 votes
Bart Meerveld
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 20, 2016

Yeah it's a weird thing. I'm not aware of any place you could disable the delete button other then the permission schemes. Yet it's completely missing..

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 20, 2016

I'm not aware of a flag or setting that would remove the delete ability completely like that (hence a comment rather than an "answer"), so if it really is happening, and it's not just that the project permissions are not set correctly, I suspect you're going to find it's some form of code hack.

But, when you do work out what's happening, I'm sure @Joe Pitt would love to know about it, as he and I would be delighted to be able to implement it by default...

Suggest an answer