Delete an old sprint from Backlog which doesn't have delete option

Shiv Sankar November 13, 2017

I have sprint X in Backlog, aswell as in Active sprints. I need to complete this sprint, but the complete sprint button is disabled with a message "You need Manage sprint permission for all project in the origin board to mangae this sprint".

I also has the Administrator access for the project but I couldnt complete.

1 answer

1 vote
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 13, 2017

Hello,

Kindly read the following article

https://confluence.atlassian.com/agile064/jira-agile-user-s-guide/working-with-sprints/deleting-a-sprint

Mosty important that 

Note that you can only delete a sprint if you have the 'Administer Projects' permissions in all projects included in this board

Thanks for the input. Let me reframe my quetion.

I have sprint X in Backlog aswell as in Active sprints. I need to complete this sprint, but the complete sprint button is disabled with a message "You need Manage sprint permission for all project in the origin board to mangae this sprint".

I also has the Administrator access for the project but I couldnt complete.

Any suggestions?

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 13, 2017

Hello,

That is right. You need Manage sprint permission for all projects in the original board. You can check on what projects you need such permission if you open your board and  go to 

Board->Configure->General

You will see there Projects on Board. Make sure you have this permission for the projects.

I have Manage permission access to that particular project , but still I couldn't  complete the sprint

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 13, 2017

Your board can show issues from different projects if it is defined by JQL query. If it is the case then permission for this particular project is not enough.

Shiv Sankar November 14, 2017

Thankx Alex. All I wanted is to move those unwanted sprints from Backlog, And I got it resolved through below steps

Given a project "ASDF" and a sprint named "ASDF Alpha", this person would...

1. Go to Issues > Find Issues.
  2. Select the Advanced search mode.

3. Enter JQL to search for issues in the "ASDF-Alpha" sprint that are not in the "ASDF" project: Sprint = "ASDF-Alpha" and Project != ASDF

4. Select Tools > Bulk Change

5. Select all the issues and click Next.

6. Select the Edit Issues option and click Next.

7. Check the box next to "Change Sprint" and leave the field value blank.

8. Follow the prompts to complete the Bulk Change operation.

When this is done you should be able to close your sprint.

Suggest an answer