Delete Permissions for Issues

clem
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 7, 2016

Hi,

I would like to give my users permissions to delete Stories and Epics but NOT bugs.

Does anyone know if there is any way to do that?  A plugin?

Thanks,

Cynthia

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 7, 2016

Not easily, the permissions are set at a project level, not issue type.

However, you can do it - if you have two separate workflows in the projects, one for Story and Epic, and another for bugs, you can set properties on the workflow steps that can allow/deny the delete permission.  See https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira/workflow-properties-189949.html

On the other hand, there's a standard recommendation that you do not ever allow "delete", as delete really means it.  The issue is destroyed and you have to look for backups if you make any mistakes.  It's better to have a "deleted" status in your workflow, or a wastebin project to move them into.

1 vote
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 7, 2016

I concur with Nic. You'll find tons of requests looking for how to restore deleted issues. There was even on earlier today. it WILL come back to bite you sooner or later. If nothing else than someone questioning why there is a gap in the issue numbers (JIRA doesn't reuse the number) and what was deleted and why.

0 votes
clem
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 7, 2016

Do have an advice on what to do with tasks that no longer required for a story?  Our users want to be able to use a template to create stories with a standard set of subtasks.  They would then like to be able to delete the subtasks they no longer require.

Thanks!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 7, 2016

Close them as "no longer required" is the standard approach for killing off the stories you don't want.

There is no "template" in JIRA for issue creation, and it doesn't natively create subtasks, you have to do it by hand or install add-ons.  Instead of just creating and discarding, it would be better to adjust the creation process, so that when a story is created, it only creates the subtasks you actually want - e.g. one per component, or one set if they select X in a field or a second set if they put in Y.

0 votes
clem
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 7, 2016

Thank-you both for your answers.   I appreciate your advice and opinions.  We are thinking of allowing stories and epics to be deleted and understand that once they are deleted they are gone.  So far I'm just investigating and looking at the options. 

Suggest an answer