Defining permissions while in specific step of a workflow.

Jossu September 13, 2017

I have created a custom workflow, which is as follows (simplified):

Open --> Draft --> Review --> Approve --> Development --> Complete

Now after an issue has been put to review, it should not be editable (the actual content... summary, description, etc). I found a way to make so by adding following to each of the steps that should not allow editing:
key: jira.issue.editable
value: false

The problem is that now I cannot assign the issue while in those steps.

I have tried different approach by using...
key: jira.permission.edit.group
value: <some group>
... but it does not do anything for me for some reason

I learned that if I remove edit permission from project settings, I can't edit the content, but I can assign. That is exactly what I want, but I need to be able to change that per step.

Any ideas? All help is appreciated!

1 answer

1 vote
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 15, 2017

Hi Johannes,

There was a similar request a couple years ago at JRASERVER-6381 that was closed as will not fix. 

Take a look at the Communities post How to restrict Jira ticket description field edit permission.  Scroll down towards the bottom and you'll see Nic's suggestion to do this.

In JRASERVER-6381 there was a suggestion to use the J-Tricks Plugin in conjunction with their article titled Permissions based on Workflow Status so take a look at JRASERVER-6381 for more info.

Cheers,

Branden

Jossu September 17, 2017

Thanks for your help.

In the Community post that you linked there was this at the bottom: 

"There is another trick, which is painful to set up and maintain - you can set workflow properties to control the groups which can or cannot edit an issue when it is in a certain state in the workflow. As issue types can be set to use different workflows, you'd need one workflow for each different edit scheme."

This is what I tried, but for some reason it doesn't do anything.

Jossu September 18, 2017

To be more precise...

1) I created 2 accounts. One of them belongs to group: jira-administrators

2) In my workflow I added: "jira.permission.edit.group=jira-administrators" to one of the steps

--> both were still able to edit the issues in the step

3) edited project permissions from project settings by removing the permission to edit from "any logged in user"

--> neither of the users were able to edit the issues in the step

To me it seemed like the "jira.permission.edit.group=jira-administrators" had no effect.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events