Defining permissions while in specific step of a workflow.

I have created a custom workflow, which is as follows (simplified):

Open --> Draft --> Review --> Approve --> Development --> Complete

Now after an issue has been put to review, it should not be editable (the actual content... summary, description, etc). I found a way to make so by adding following to each of the steps that should not allow editing:
key: jira.issue.editable
value: false

The problem is that now I cannot assign the issue while in those steps.

I have tried different approach by using...
key: jira.permission.edit.group
value: <some group>
... but it does not do anything for me for some reason

I learned that if I remove edit permission from project settings, I can't edit the content, but I can assign. That is exactly what I want, but I need to be able to change that per step.

Any ideas? All help is appreciated!

1 answer

1 vote

Hi Johannes,

There was a similar request a couple years ago at JRASERVER-6381 that was closed as will not fix. 

Take a look at the Communities post How to restrict Jira ticket description field edit permission.  Scroll down towards the bottom and you'll see Nic's suggestion to do this.

In JRASERVER-6381 there was a suggestion to use the J-Tricks Plugin in conjunction with their article titled Permissions based on Workflow Status so take a look at JRASERVER-6381 for more info.

Cheers,

Branden

Thanks for your help.

In the Community post that you linked there was this at the bottom: 

"There is another trick, which is painful to set up and maintain - you can set workflow properties to control the groups which can or cannot edit an issue when it is in a certain state in the workflow. As issue types can be set to use different workflows, you'd need one workflow for each different edit scheme."

This is what I tried, but for some reason it doesn't do anything.

To be more precise...

1) I created 2 accounts. One of them belongs to group: jira-administrators

2) In my workflow I added: "jira.permission.edit.group=jira-administrators" to one of the steps

--> both were still able to edit the issues in the step

3) edited project permissions from project settings by removing the permission to edit from "any logged in user"

--> neither of the users were able to edit the issues in the step

To me it seemed like the "jira.permission.edit.group=jira-administrators" had no effect.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Fadoua M. Boualem
Published Monday in Trello

Using Trello to manage events

As a Jira power user, I was at first doubtful that Trello could benefit my workflow. Jira already uses boards (ones you can customize!), so why would I even need to use Trello?! In this post you will...

492 views 8 9
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you