Dear jira gods, I am in need for your help concerning rights for a user group on scrum boards!

Erik Preusker October 21, 2015

Hello there,

I am the administrator of JIRA in our agency and I am struggling to solve an issue. I appreciate any help a lot, knowing that this place is probably the best in JIRA knowledge around.

We do use kanban boards for scrum and have given clients access to follow their ticket processes. As usual, clients struggle to understand how to use it and we're trying hard to let them know. Still, clients keep changing descriptions and acceptance criteria every now and then, even when the ticket is already in the sprint.

My question is: is there a way to restrict clients to only edit issues before they have been moved to the sprint? So, only issues that are still in the backlog. I have not found a way to set permission schemes to apply to sprints, only for user groups, issue types etc.

Thanks in advance!

Erik

1 answer

1 vote
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 21, 2015

Ideally, you will want to give the "Edit Issues" permission to the project admins/managers only. They should be the only one defining those important fields you mention, not the Assignee. So I suggest to limit it to the correct people only.

Natively, workflow statuses have "properties" you can set so that a certain issue status cannot be edited. See https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira/restricting-edit-based-on-issue-status-121422.html.

Moreover, you can have them edit this issues via a transition screen (Open back to Open). Put all those custom fields in the transition screen and restrict that transition to certain people only.

Lastly, "educate" your users to do not do that and put some light disciplinary actions! smile Just kidding.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events