Custom-workflow issues closed but with resolution as 'Unresolved'?

Meng November 10, 2015

Some issues in a JIRA instance I work with have a custom type value and show up with status being 'Closed' while the resolution is still Unresolved though.  If I find all of them using a JQL query and attempt to mass edit them, I could not find a checkbox or pulldown menu for changing the Resolution from the interface of various possible changes to apply. Any idea how is that possible? I just want to make these closed tickets also resolved.

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 11, 2015

There is two parts to this question.

First, fixing the problem causing the empty resolution: Your workflow is missing something to set the resolution.  If you look at the built-in default workflow, you will see that all transitions going from a status that means "this still needs attention" to a status meaning "done with this", they all go through a screen that includes the resolution field.  This means the users always set a resolution.  If you don't want a screen, you can use a post-function to set it instead.  (You also want to clear it on "reopen" type transitions). Fix this first, to stop the problem spreading.

Second, the data that is now wrong.  Bulk-edit is using the "edit" screen for the issues.  The edit screen NEVER includes resolution because when the resolution is on screen, it gets set.  If you have it on screen, then every edit will resolve the issue.  Which is wrong.  You have three options now:

1. Reopen and then re-close the issues, setting the resolution (as you have fixed the workflow as above)
  2. Add a transition to the workflow that goes back to the same status, and has either the resolution screen or a post-function to set the resolution (I usually make it an admin only transition too), and use bulk-edit to perform the transition
  3. At a quiet time, kick your users off the system, add "resolution" to the edit screen, do the bulk edit, then remove the field again

Meng November 12, 2015

Thanks. Where to see the 'the built-in default workflow' for reference?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 12, 2015

Admin -> Workflows. It may be in the "inactive" section if you're not using it.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events