Custom field with serial number

Filipe Teixeira March 14, 2016

I would like to know how to create a custom field, which will generate a number every time an issue is created. I know that JIRA already does that automatically, but the problem is that I can't chose where it starts from, and it keeps on creating numbers for subtasks, which I don't want.

Any ideas?

1 answer

0 votes
Aleks Yenin (Polontech)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 14, 2016

Hi,
You may create youre own custom field, then get custom field value and increment it using postfunction, when the new one issue was created.

Filipe Teixeira March 14, 2016

That actually sounds great.

I've managed to find the function to add 1 value to the number I want, but I still can't find how to get the number from the previous issue. Any ideas on how to do this?

Thank you

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 14, 2016

It's actually quite hard - your code will need to search for the last created issue, grab the number and then add to that.

I don't think you can add code like that to Cloud.

Suggest an answer