Custom Resolution field in JIRA Cloud

Sunil Muniyal August 21, 2016

Hello,

We are setting up a specific list of Resolution fields (listed below) to be used and should be treated as Unresolved / Resolved:

Resolution field name            Should be treated as 

New                                                   Unresolved

Fixed                                                 Unresolved                                             

Answered                                          Unresolved

Duplicate                                           Resolved

Invalid                                               Unresolved

Won't Fix                                          Unresolved

Works As Designed                         Resolved

Works For Me                                   Resolved

Done                                                 Resolved

I have got these fields added to Resolutions. However, as per the article below, if I have any thing updated to Resolution field, JIRA will consider that to be resolved and will add a green check under "Issues in this Epic" section of Epic view and a strike through on the issue on Agile (SCRUM) Board.

Isn't there a way to have above listed resolutions treated as mentioned by JIRA so that these can be used appropriately.

Thanks

Sunil M.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 21, 2016

This won't work.

If the resolution field is set, then the issue is resolved.  If it is empty, it is unresolved.

You'd need to rewrite JIRA and a lot of its add-ons to change that.  It would be a big project to undertake on Server, and you'd never get any of it into Cloud.

On Server, you could bodge it - have your own "resolution" field, and then populate the actual resolution with a listener in the background so that it's empty for your unresolved items and filled for the resolved ones, but that's still not going to look right. 

Your best option is to use the resolution field properly, not break your data with this poor design.

Sunil Muniyal August 21, 2016

Hello Nic,

Thank you for the response. It looks like I will have to accept it as is.

Thanks

Sunil

Suggest an answer