Custom Field not appearing in a Cloned JIRA

Deepa Narayanan January 17, 2016

We created a custom field recently to identify Change Request categories. The custom field appears, when I create a new JIRA but when I clone an existing JIRA (that was created before introducing the Custom field), the newly cloned JIRA does not show the custom field. 

Thoughts? 

Thank you.

2 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Graeme Baker January 11, 2018

I have this exact same problem, except I am entering data into the custom fields.

I have two ways of doing this, one is a post function on create, and the other is to manually edit the ticket after creation.

When cloning a ticket created in both ways, the custom fields are not cloned.

They are single select drop downs. Any ideas?

Matt Wilson August 9, 2018

Did you ever get a resolution on this?  I'm seeing a similar issue right now, all my custom fields are being cloned except for my single select drop down.  

I believe this behavior is new since upgrading from 7.4 to 7.10, but I could be wrong about that.  I'm pretty sure I can band-aid this with script runner for now...

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 17, 2016

It won't - you haven't put any data in it.  JIRA hides empty custom fields on the issue view to try to declutter the screen a bit.  Try editing the issue to check the field is offered to you during edits.

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean by 'you haven't put any data in it'. The custom field does have a drop down list of values. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 17, 2016

Work through what you have done:

• Create an issue ABC-123
  • Add a new custom field to the system
  • Clone ABC-123 to ABC-457

At what point did you put data into the field ?

• Create an issue ABC-123
  • Add a new custom field to the system, with drop down values
  • Clone ABC-123 to ABC-457 - ABC 457 does not show up the Custom field 
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 17, 2016

Yes, that's what I said.  In step 2 you make a new custom field available.  You've not explained where you are putting any data in it.

Deepa Narayanan January 18, 2016

Think I got it. I am not editing the old JIRAs with the custom field and that's the reason it's not carried forward to the cloned ones? I see that the custom field appears when I edit the cloned JIRA, but this step tends to be missed by most users resulting in quite a big number of JIRAs with blank category.

Is there a workaround?

Thanks.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 18, 2016

Yes.  The reason the field has no data is because you have not put data in it.

There is no "workaround" because there is nothing to work around.  You have not got data in the field.  You copy the issue, with no data in the field.  So you have no data in the field.  There is nothing you can possibly do here.  I'm not sure how else I can say "you can't copy something that is not there"

Deepa Narayanan January 18, 2016

Understood smile Thnks a bunch.

Suggest an answer