Custom Administration Question

David Charles March 28, 2016

Hello,

I was wondering if it was possible to create a custom administrator role in JIRA, that allows certain administrator functions, but not others.

Basically, what we want to do is allow a certain group of administrative permissions to certain users, but only for certain projects. This includes creating workflows, editing Screen Issue Types, and changing fields. However we want to allow this only for certain projects, not all projects.

I am familiar with the JIRA Global permissions JIRA System Adminsitrators and JIRA Administrators, but I was wondering if it was possible to create sort of a custom Global Permission set.

We are running JIRA 6.1

Thanks for your help in advance.

2 answers

1 vote
Nicolas Bourdages
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 28, 2016

To expand on Gabrielle's answer, there also seems to be a high level of complexity in the very concept of admins limited to certain projects.

As a "super project admin", you would have to be allowed to create workflows/screens/schemes etc. from scratch, but only apply them to the projects for which you're admin. Obviously, you should be able to modify the schemes of you project, but you should be prevented from doing so if the schemes are also in use in projects for which you're not admin. These are just scenarios off the top of my head, and they would be annoying.

If you forego these limitations, chaos would quickly ensue. As a JIRA system admin, there's no way I would let even that limited amount of power to my project admins. They'd end up creating bunches of weird, duplicate and non-standard configs.

The Delegated Project Creator add-on does delegate project creation from templates to non-admins. I've been using it a lot and it works well.

The Secure Admin plugin seems to be able to lock certain tabs of the admin section (Issues, Add-ons, System etc.) for individual users. It's rather like being a JIRA admin with less rights than being a project admin with more rights. That's basically all it does and it's not free.

There's CM4J - Context Manager for JIRA. It allows project admins to modify the context of custom fields. That's it, and it's twice the price of Secure Admin. I wouldn't install that even for free, unless they threw in free pizza and beer.

The JRA-3156 issue has been created in 2004 (!!!), has over 1000 votes and is still open.

So basically, the plugins out there suck, and don't hold your breath for Atlassian to add this.

Nicolas

David Charles March 29, 2016

Thanks for your feedback. So it looks like we'll have to delegate some of these administrative tasks, Workflow Creation and Field Editing, to a single person for the time being. We wanted to avoid doing that, as the team who needs this ability want to be able to perform these actions without asking the JIRA admins for this on a regular basis.

I'll try taking a look at the add-ons you've suggested, but the only one that seems to come close is the Secure Admin plugin.

Thanks again for your response!

1 vote
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 28, 2016

There's nothing like that natively in JIRA. A few add-ons claim to have it implemented it but I have not tried them myself. You may also want to view/vote/discuss this related "Suggestion" https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-3156.

David Charles March 28, 2016

Thanks for the quick response! I'll try to find an add-on that suits our needs, but in the meantime, can anyone suggest an add-on that sounds like it is capable of doing what we need?

Thanks again in advance!

Suggest an answer