Create total created vs. resolved chart

Rik Koning May 22, 2017

I am keeping track of bug fixing for multiple projects, and would like to create graphs that show the total amount of created vs. the resolved issues on a weekly basis.

By total, I mean not just the amount of created vs resolved bugs during that week (like in the "created vs resolved graph"), but over the lifetime of the project. So for example, if the project had 100 created and 50 resolved bugs before the shown period in the graph, the graph should start with 100 created and 50 resolved bugs and show the progression from there throughout the shown period.

This way we could see how many bugs are in our database and how many of those are yet to be fixed, so we can easily see how much focus we should put on bug fixing.

Alternatively, I suppose I could use a graph that shows the amount of Open or Unresolved issues per day, although this wouldn't show the quantity of bugs being processed.

Is either of this possible?

3 answers

0 votes
Danut M _StonikByte_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 13, 2020

Hi @Rik Koning , 

With our add-ons Great Gadgets for Jira Server and  Great Gadgets for Jira Cloud you can have a Created vs Resolved chart on your dashboard that can be configured to group data by 1 week (or more).

In the 10 gadgets offered by the add-on, there is a Release Burndown / Burnup Chart gadget than can be easily configured as Created vs Resolved Chart. Just take a look at this example. 

CreatedVsResolved_Week.jpg

Danut

0 votes
Nicolas Werle _Decadis AG_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 7, 2017

Hi Rik,

Please feel free to try xCharts - Custom Charts & Reports . It provides a lot of built-in templates to create custom charts. 
In addition you can script your own charts & reports, using Groovy. 

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me directly via email to: n.werle(at)decadis.de

Cheers,

Nic

0 votes
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 22, 2017

Hi Rik,

the Created vs. Resolved - Chart - Gadget has a setting ("Collection Operation -> Cumulative") that will exactly do what you describe except one thing: the graph is beginning with 0. But you can start displaying data more than four years in the past, so this might be sufficient for you.

Rik Koning May 22, 2017

Hi Thomas,

I have found that option, but the problem with it is that I want to show on a weekly or biweekly basis how we did during that period, so then I would have to cut the graph off before that period instead of just saving and printing it. Since I need to do this for a large amount of projects, it would not be ideal.

It might be a good alternative, but I'm hoping there is an automated way of achieving this.

EDIT:
Additionally, I have a project that was migrated from another project, so this would show a very strange graph with 200 issues created on the first day that will heavily distort the graph. Again, not a big deal, but I'm hoping to prevent this.

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 22, 2017

mm, I see. 

Maybe you could split your data and create a dashboard with two gadgets (at least):

• one "created vs resolved" of the last two weeks
  • and one with the overall number of issues from your project as pie chart or barchart (we use the barcharts for Jira - Plugin for that, it is free and works fine) - show the overall status from your project with the pie or bars.
Rik Koning May 22, 2017

That is more or less what I'm currently doing, except I'm using a pie-chart that devides into critical/major/minor/etc issues. I agree that's probably the best alternative if it's not possible to create the graph that I'm trying to make.

Thanks for your input!

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 22, 2017

you're welcome :)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events