Create project template for Jira

Parashar Joshi
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 11, 2016

Hi All,

Hope you are doing great!

We are working on template for project creation in jira. Browsed through JIRA suggestions and found that there is an open suggestion (https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-7020) almost 11 years old and with little hope that it may be implemented anytime soon, we were following the Atlassian tutorial for creating our own project templates at https://developer.atlassian.com/jiradev/jira-platform/guides/projects/tutorial-creating-a-project-template.

However, what i noticed is that the plugin built creates new workflows from the bundled workflows for each project and associates the newly created workflows to the newly created project.

I would really like to reuse the existing workflows (meaning used existing workflow and just associate to the new project not create new workflows) in the system and not create new one every time a project is created.

Any pointers will be helpful.

Thank you in advance.

-Parashar

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Parashar Joshi
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 28, 2016

We could do it as following

1. Added a projectHook as mentioned at https://developer.atlassian.com/jiradev/jira-platform/guides/projects/tutorial-creating-a-project-template
  2. Did not add any bundles for workflows or jason files for config.
  3. Manually change the required schemes after project creation by over riding the method configure() of the class implementing AddProjectHook in your plugin.
@Override
public ConfigureResponse configure(final ConfigureData configureData) {
//Change the schemes here using Jira API's
}
1 vote
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 11, 2016

The script runner plugin has a built-in script for "Copy Project" that can be used for creating projects from a project template. That's what I use.

Parashar Joshi
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 12, 2016

Thank you Tarun for the suggestion.

We did evaluate the option but the problem is that it will include Role memberships and also optionally include filters, dashboards, rapid boards, issues, versions and components. 

So we want to go with a clean approach and not have any options to clone any of these objects as it might have issues with clean up later.

Another case is that the plugin will be helpful when script runner is not available.

-Parashar

Like Jira Master likes this
Abdelhalim ELKHATTABI November 13, 2019

script runner on Cloud has NO built-in script for "Copy Project" 

Like Henry Auffahrt likes this
1 vote
Parashar Joshi
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 11, 2016

Noticed that a similar question is already asked at https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/276982. but for project-template not sure if that will help for project-blueprint module 

Will be trying the suggestion. 

0 votes
Manola Giangiordano April 17, 2018

I'm sure that you can help me.So,

Can I create a Project template for Jira Cloud?

Parashar Joshi
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 17, 2018

I have not used or worked with Jira cloud. So i could only take a guess at it.

If you are allowed to upgrade and upload the plugins to Jira cloud then yes this plugin method should be a way to get it done.

If not may be going with Tarun Sapra's answer of script runner is an option.

You may wait for inputs  from other though or post your own query to the community.

Manola Giangiordano April 17, 2018

Thank you!

Cheers

W.L April 17, 2023

Hi @Manola Giangiordano
on Jira Cloud, without apps, it is currently not possible to create your own project templates.
Your best option would be to use the 'Create with shared settings' button during project creation to avoid unnecessary schemes.
However, you will find third party solution, that allow you to create custom project templates on Jira cloud on the marketplace. Take a look:
https://marketplace.atlassian.com/search?hosting=cloud&query=project%20templates%20%2B%20jira

Suggest an answer