Create issue Dialog vs. Screen, differing fields show

Robin Stubbings November 1, 2016

I am running JIRA v6.1 and want to know why only some of the fields show in the Create Issue Dialog as opposed to the Create Issue screen?

Since only a subset of the fields appear in the dialog (though that can be configured by the user), how are those defaults determined?  

Is there a way to force the Create issue button and the "Issues->Create Issue" menu bar buttons to bring up the Create Issue Screen instead of the dialog?

1 answer

0 votes
Renee Lyons November 1, 2016

Old, but Adaptavist has a good answer here: How do I modify the "Create Issue" dialog?

Robin Stubbings November 2, 2016

What I don't understand is what is the point of configuring Screens for Issue creation?  The only time I have ever seen the screen I configure is when I, as an administrator in the administration section, create a new issue.

In every other case I only see the generic issue creation dialog.

Renee Lyons November 2, 2016

One use case is that you might want different fields available when creating vs editing vs viewing the issue.

For example, you might add Creator to the View Issue screen, but there's no point to adding it to the Create screen since you can't edit the value.

Robin Stubbings November 2, 2016

Oh I understand that, but my issue has more to do with the fact that I cannot see where a normal user would ever encounter the screen for "Create Issue".  In every case I've tried to create an issue as a normal user, only the generic "Create Issue" dialog appears, showing the same default fields.  

Isn't the point of specifying the fields to appear on a "create issue" screen to have them appear when a user creates an issue?  

Renee Lyons November 2, 2016

It all depends on how the screen is tied to screen schemes to issue type screen schemes to projects.

For example, we have a "Create Move/Change Request Screen" that is used for the issue type "Move/Change Request," but we use the screen "Create Risk" for creating the issue type "Risk."

If you haven't tied the screen you're editing all the way through screen scheme, issue type screen scheme, to a project, no one will see it.

Robin Stubbings November 3, 2016

I've already tied the screen through screen scheme, issue type screen scheme and that to a project.

The problem here is that selecting "Create Issue" button, or Issues->Create issue, always brings up a Create Issue dialog that is NOT the screen which was defined.  Should those operations be using the screen that was created?  Or is there something I am missing?

The ONLY time I have been able to see this screen is when I am in the System Administration screen.  In that case, creating an issue will open a Create Issue screen that prompts for a Project and Issue type alone.  After selecting the correct project and issue type, selecting next DOES open the screen that I have defined.

Selecting Projects->Project in question and THEN selecting "Create Issue" brings up a Create Issue screen that has both the Project, Issue Type and a set of default fields below them.  The custom screen never shows up.  An example of this "Create Issue" dialog I am attaching. 

How does one get the Create Issue function to bring up the same screens that happen when this is done in the Administrator screen?

Example.png

Renee Lyons November 3, 2016

When going from the normal "Create" button from any screen, what options do you see when you click "Configure fields"? Can you screenshot that please?

Suggest an answer