Create bigpicture roadmap showing all epics from all projects

moritz löser May 18, 2016

I just making my first steps with BigPicture.

I want a view showing the program and all epics grouped by project - a roadmap i guess. How to achieve this? 

I created a program that "sees" several JIRA projects. The projects are agile projects. At the moment the projects have epics and at least one board and a sprint. And i created a quickfilter only showing epics.

First i tried the "classic roadmap". I dragged an epic into a cadence. The problem: the epic only spans one cadence. Is there a way to let span an epic multiple cadences?

Then i tried the roadmap but there i can't see anything, only the cadences are showing. i can drag an epic from "program backlog" to "cadence backlog" but the roadmap doesn't change. So how to see epics in the roadmap - epics that span multiple cadences?

3 answers

3 votes
Tom Kucharski _SoftwarePlant_ May 18, 2016

You can assign a single task to a single cadence currently. Having ability to span epic (or simply any task) multiple cadences is a great idea and we definitely like it!

I created new epic related to this: https://softwareplant.com/jira/browse/BIGPICTURE-1520 

We are going to have next backlog grooming session for Roadmap team in the following week (due to AtlasCamp event next week) so we will keep you posted

thanks,

for the moment, is there any workaround or other options? i have no problem changing my project structure (cadence/increment/epic...)
I need a bird view  on all projects with main tasks/ scope. Every month (at the moment my cadence, there also could be sprints) is a meeting. It would be nice see progress in relation to those monthly steps.
Could i see sprints in the roadmap?
And what about my main question "how to drag tasks into the current roadmap - not legacy"? 

Like el hasnaoui,khadija likes this
Tudor Hofnar January 3, 2017

@Tom Kucharski any update on this feature? We are currently on a trial version of Big Picture and would like to know if the ability to span an epic over multiple cadences is still coming. I don't see any updates on the epic you linked above.

Rowland Reed August 8, 2017

Ditto.  This is a feature I'm looking for as well.  Looks like no activity on BIGPICTURE-1520 above.  Really need to have this available for longer term planning.

oyinkansola olusola-ajayi August 2, 2018

Hi @Tom Kucharski _SoftwarePlant_, has there been any update on this feature? We need this for our planning as well and there has been no activity on the created epic. Please provide any update you may have. Thanks! 

Tom Kucharski _SoftwarePlant_ August 6, 2018

Hi, 

There is no such feature available yet as we have identified different approaches for the current version of the Roadmap module. Spanning Epics across a number of Iterations was just the tip of an iceberg in roadmapping and project execution processes. 

As a result, we decided to split the current Roadmap module into the following:

• Roadmap (NEW module) providing roadmapping capabilities with Goals, business value etc. For SAFe practitioners, it is a SAFe Objective management tool, for Scrum practitioners, it is a Scrum Goals management tool. Tightly integrated with iterations, JIRA Boards, and the current concept of BigPicture programs. See PICTURE1 for the reference. 
  • Board (renamed from Roadmap) provides project/program execution tool. It is a huge UX redesign with a much better task dependency management, iteration planning etc.  See PICTURE2 for the reference.  

I am aware that none of these above implements BIGPICTURE-1520 yet, but it makes the foundation for this feature to be delivered later on.  

PICTURE1

BigPicture-NewRoadmap.png

PICTURE2

BigPicture-NewBoard.png

Like Deleted user likes this
Philip Whalen September 7, 2018

Is there a timeline for when these features might be released? 

Hua Thai Dat November 19, 2018

Hello

I need Board view in my Program (there is only Roadmap tab)

How Can I turn it on?

Thank

Jesper Cederholm May 15, 2019

Hi,

Is there anyone how found a way to keep track of Epics as part of a roadmap planning?

I am working with releases in different projects, picking stories/task etc from Epics, the Epics can run over serveral months but the release are done on a monthly basis. 

Which to track the Epics progress in someway

2 votes
Claus Kolb December 14, 2016

Dear BigPicture team,

I also need the feature to let an epic span multiple cadences/sprints. The mere definition of an epic ("epic is a user story to big to be implemented within one sprint") requires this.

Unfortunately without having this feature even BigPicture 6 is useless for us. Or did I miss something in version 6?

Cheers
Claus

1 vote
ungrate bast May 18, 2016

Roadmap was majorly changes in the last update (5.0 version). Classic one is just legacy mode and is very simple, the new one is much more robust and here's how to configure it: https://softwareplant.atlassian.net/wiki/display/BIGPICTURE/Setting+up+Roadmap

sadly this didn't answers my question: how to get epics (spanning multiple cadences) shown in roadmap (whatever version)? I need an overview to see the epics (grouped by project) in relation to time (whole program)

Like Corentin Méhat likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events