Could not create the Java Virtual Machine.

Hi Team,

We are facing below error while restarting jira, its showing page can not be displayed:

Error: Could not create the Java Virtual Machine. Error: A fatal exception has occurred. Program will exit. Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM warning: ignoring option MaxPermSize=384m; support was removed in 8.0 Unrecognized option: - Error: Could not create the Java Virtual Machine. Error: A fatal exception has occurred. Program will exit.

Please suggest at the earliest

2 answers

0 vote

The maxPermSize warning can be ignored.  But you haven't given us the rest of the log that tells us what has gone wrong.  There should be more than this, either before or after the bit you've posted (sometimes both) which should tell you what the problem is.

Further to the comments from Nic above. I suspect that you have recently updated the JVM from 7.X to 8.X and the options required are slightly different. Could you also provide the fill set of JVM options that are currently defined. 
From your initial message you can see that the MaxPermSize=384m is no longer a recognised options . The complete list of valid options are shown at https://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/technotes/tools/windows/java.html#BABCBGHF

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published yesterday in Jira

5 ways you can make the most of Jira Software and Bitbucket Cloud

As part of the Bitbucket product team I'm always interested in better understanding what kind of impact the use of our tools have on the way you work. In a recent study we conducted of software devel...

35 views 0 4
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you