Core vs Software

Craig Ganssle April 27, 2019

I recently joined my software team in Jira... and have used it in the past but it's been since 2017.  They use Jira Software (JS)... I am wanting to use Jira Cora (JC) for other project management such as client projects, marketing, whatever.

Why, for the life of me, can I not access Jira Core?  It keeps forcing me into JS.  I'd like to continue access to JS so I can assist or give feedback when asked on what is happening in there, but mostly I want to work in JC.  I can create a new project, but it forces everything in to JS... I want the workflows of JC.

I spent the last hour playing around with permissions,groups, etc even removing myself from JS to see if it forces me to JC... nope.

1 answer

1 vote
Bastian Stehmann
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 27, 2019

Hi @Craig Ganssle ,

If you use JSW or JC features, depends on the project you create. If you create a Software project, you will use JSW features, if you create a business project, it will be the core features. 

Workflows and such things depends on your configuration, but if you create a new project, the default should be used. If you changed that, it will be the changed one.

Craig Ganssle April 27, 2019

Thanks.  To your point it was about how I was creating a project.  I was choosing "next gen"...(figured why look back, right), but I needed to choose Classic, and then change my template.  This is still different to how I was used to it, but I guess now it's easier than re-building workflows as they're already kind of done for you in these templates.

So, essentially, Core is within Software now and it's all in the same place... just depends on how you're using it.

Bastian Stehmann
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 27, 2019

You are right, Core is always included in the other Jira Products, because they are all based on the Jira core.

Suggest an answer