Connect Java app: Should I use ac-play-java? Alternatives?

Hi there,

I have a  Maven-built, standalone Java 8 app (as in, uses streams and other 8-ish features) that works well with Jira using the jira-rest-java-client suite. I'd like to integrate its featureset directly with Atlassian OnDemand with an eye towards the Marketplace, leading me to Connect and ac-play-java. I'm not a Play expert but am willing to learn, however it looks like ac-play-java has fallen behind the current Play framework and, judging from activity may be on its way to deprecation.
So:
  1. Should I go further with ac-play-java?
  2. If so:
    1. What version should I use from Maven/build from source (guessing 0.10.1 from source)?
    2. What version of Play framework should this run against (guessing 4.2.x)?
    3. Will everything work with Java 8?
  3. If not:
    1. What's the easiest, 3rd-party route for a Java programmer to get busy with Connect?
    2. Relative merits of cobbling together my own JWT/webhook mechanism and wrapping it all up in a WAR, since I'm already talking to Jira through other means?

Thanks very much for your time -- I'm looking forward to proceeding with this work, just a little confused as to how.

2 answers

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.

my 2 cents as well:

1. ac-play-java is a solution, for sure, although it seems that was built at a hackaton or something.

2. Play version should be 2.2.6, Scala 2.10.3, AC play 0.10.1 Yes, it works quite well on Java8. I even integrated it with guice and did some dep injection on it

Personally, I doubt play framework, though. I doubt that perf wise is everything rose (put the french e'). Even the name says it: play.

3. Now, I do not know how to tell you this: Connect is a bunch of REST services. If you ever done REST is Java you have nothing to fear of. JWT should not pose problems (but I saw many people stumble into this).

Other than that, don't worry, we're all confused. Confusion will be my epitaph, anyway (#socultured)

Hi @Radu Dumitriu Where did you found the informations about compatibility between for ac-play, scala and play versions? Kind Regards, Fabio Antunes

This widget could not be displayed.

Hi Michael,

My Work Calendar addon lives on ac-play. I am not sure about ac-play status and would like to hear some update about it as well.

When I started with ac-play I knew nothing about play2 framework and I still do not know much. I mainly use commands to start/stop/build and it's enough. All programming is done on Java relying on classes from ac-play and paly2 and there are no any problems with that.

Answering your questions:

1. Should I go further with ac-play-java?
Really do not know. It works for me and I do not care about updates as long as it works. 

2. If so:
a. What version should I use from Maven/build from source (guessing 0.10.1 from source)?
I guess from sources is the only option and you take the latest.

b. What version of Play framework should this run against (guessing 4.2.x)?
I run on 2.2. 2.4 should work as well.

c. Will everything work with Java 8?
I run on 7. Do not have time/desire to update. 

3. If not:
a. What's the easiest, 3rd-party route for a Java programmer to get busy with Connect?
I really do not know the easy way.

b. Relative merits of cobbling together my own JWT/webhook mechanism and wrapping it all up in a WAR, since I'm already talking to Jira through other means?
My initial intention was to "extract all I need" from ac-play and go my favorite well-known Java webapp way based on Spring IoC + Spring MVC. But I decided that I need to try ac-play and it worked and then I did not have time/desire to do standard webapp.

Update: just switched the prod instance to Java 8. So far so good. Thanks for encouraging me to do this.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Tuesday in Jira

What modern development practices are at the heart of how your team delivers software?

Hey Community mates! Claire here from the Software Product Marketing team. We all know software development changes rapidly, and it's often tough to keep up. But from our research, we've found the h...

200 views 1 3
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you