Confusion about Workflows

Jim Hackney April 21, 2016

I am presently following the instructions to automatically assign an issue to a user, based on Issue Type, from the following webpage: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/how-to-automatically-assign-an-issue-to-a-user-based-on-issue-type-704413717.html

This link only talks about the workflow for the open step. However, when I look at the default JIRA workflow there are 5 steps. Do I need to include the other four steps in my custom workflows? The directions in the webpage I'm following make no mention of them

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 21, 2016

Typically you only use the automatic assignee at creation time.

Jim Hackney April 21, 2016

Right. Which is what I'm doing when I follow the directions on the link. But what about the rest of the workflow steps like In Progress, resolved, reopened, and closed. Do all workflows have to contain these steps in order for issues to work properly? If I only add the Open step to a custom workflow will I still be able to change their statuses to In progress, resolves, etc.?

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 21, 2016

The assignee will stay the same unless someone changes it. We'll call the user 'Boss' you are assigning it to. If Boss assigns it to Fred and Fred moves it through the next transition and you want it to go to Boss (to check or whatever) then you either have to do it with a post function or trust Fred to assign it to Boss. Regardless of how many transitions you modify, have the post function assign the issue to a role and put the one person in that role. Otherwise when they leave you'll have to update all the workflows rather then just assign another person to the role. To find out about assigning to role check out https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/240085

Suggest an answer