Configuring JIRA Agile / Portfolio for SAFe

Michael Gibson June 14, 2016

Hi All,

Is anyone aware of a guide (or similar) that can help us configure JIRA Agile & Portfolio for SAFe?  I've read some short articles about this, but I was wondering if there is a comprehensive guide for using JIRA with SAFe?

Is anyone aware of anything we might find useful? 

Regards

Mick

5 answers

1 vote
Rita Lewitt November 3, 2016

Here is something we have found around Portfolio usage with SAFe.

You can register and download it from: https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/portfolio/scaling-agile-with-safe

1 vote
Peter T
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 22, 2016

Hi Michael,

are you looking for overall solution for JIRA and SAFe or it has to be created around Portfolio?

0 votes
Michael Gibson July 6, 2016

Thanks Robert - that's quite useful.  It confirms rather than challenges the direction I was already heading in.  I've been able to scrounge content from various spots and they all point towards the same stuff.  Except (as you mentioned about this blog) they don't reference the new Portfolio add-on.

0 votes
Robert Leitch [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 6, 2016

Hi Michael, this is still the most candid guide I know of - https://fschop.wordpress.com/tag/safe/

It uses one of our products, not Portfolio.

0 votes
Michael Gibson June 22, 2016

Good question Peter.

Although I've specifically called out Portfolio in my post, as I've experimented and learned more I realise this isn't necessarily just a Portfolio issue - it's probably just as much (or more) a question of JIRA Agile set-up.  But there is a potentially specific role the Portfolio add-on might play at the Portfolio and Program level (using SAFe terminilogy here) - in that, with the Portfolio add-on we might not need to create quite as many Projects / Taskboards (i.e. we can perhaps use the standard Themes functionality instead of a separate Portfolio level project/taskboard).

Anyway, I was hoping someone who is practicing SAFE and is using both the JIRA Agile and Portfolio add-ons would be able to share their experiences.  I've approached Atlassian directly but got nothing specific.

Anyone?

Regards

Mick

Peter T
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 24, 2016

Hi Mick,

we have a full blown SAFe solution and we don't use Portfolio for than. We cover Program and Release Increments and Value streams pretty well, SAFe consist of many many things and it depends what exactly you are trying to accomplish. If you are interested to a online meeting/discussion drop us an email at services@botronsoft.com.

Cheers,
Peter T

Suggest an answer