Configuring Fileds

Elif Alverson April 28, 2016

Hello, 

I have created custom field configuration scheme for a project and made story points required for story issuetype and shirt size required for epic issuetype. How can I make them optional? Also, is there a way to add shirt size and story point to a bug issue? Can I add shirt size to a story issue in addition to story point?

Thank you so much for your help!

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 28, 2016

Go to the field configuration for each issue type (remember these are bound together by the field configuration scheme which says things like "use field configuration 1 for bug and features and use field config 2 for all other issue types)

In there, you'll find the mandatory/optional flag for all fields.

To add fields to an issue type, check that the field context is correct (on the list of all custom fields), that you have the fields on the right screens for the issue type in those projects, and that the field configuration does not hide them.

Nick, 

Both shirt size and story point are optional now, The reason I selected them as required was that they were not visiable whenever we create epic or story issuetypes. We needed to check these fields every time on the configuration field tab. Is there a way to see these fields every time when we create an issue? Please see attachments below.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 28, 2016

Ah, I see, you're running in to the problem that individual "field visibility" thing means your users can ignore non-mandatory fields.  Thing is, if they're non-mandatory, then the users could easily ignore them even if they weren't being hidden.

The best way to see them all the time is what you've already done - make them mandatory.

Nic,

I am sorry but I am a little confused, So you are saying that "there is no other way to have shirt size and story points to be visible other than making them required" on the issue creation window? My understanding is that if I make them required , these fields need to be filled up during the issue creation. I am curious if  they can be visible on the issue creation window but not mandatory to be filled up? 

Thank you for your understanding. 

Elif

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 28, 2016

No, sorry, I've confused you with two concepts.

To have the fields there on create issue, put them on the create screen for the issue type.   They will be presented to anyone clicking "create".  (Note that this assumes that they have the right context and are not hidden, as mentioned before)

That's it for "you can put t-shirt and story points on the create screen".  You don't need anything else.

The bit I've explained badly is that the users have the option to personally configure fields.  Given what is currently on the screen, they can choose to hide them if they want. 

Most of the time, this is fine, but there's one case where you have a problem:  When a user decides that they don't care about a field, they can hide it for themselves on the create/edit screen.  The field is valid, it's there, it's being asked for, but they have chosen to hide it.  So they don't see it at all.  If you could disable that function, then they'd see the field.  But they can still leave it blank

Nic, 

Thank you for the clarification. Could you please send me the link/directions to disable users ability to change the field configurations? Thank you so very much as usual. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 28, 2016

Only admins can change the field configurations (I'm just being fussy about words here because that phrase has a very specific meaning in JIRA-speak).  I think you mean the ability to personalise the fields on view? 

There's no facility for that, but here's a quick hack for JIRA 6 - I've no idea if it works on 7, sorry.  https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira060/how-to-hide-the-configure-fields-button-on-the-create-issue-screen-370705226.html

Nic, 

Thank you so very much! You are awesome.

Elif 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events