Configure the new Jira issue view

Olga_Popova November 30, 2017

Hello!

Is it possible to configure the new Jira issue view? I need to ad some fields.

11 answers

1 accepted

6 votes
Answer accepted
kai
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 3, 2017

Hey @Olga_Popova,

Unfortunately there is currently no way to configure the display of fields on the new issue view – but this is something that we're working on.

If the new design currently doesn't meet your needs, you can go back to the old view by switching the feature off in your user profile – this will allow you to configure your fields using the Issue Detail View page in Board Settings.

Feel free to "Watch" the page (https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiracorecloud/the-new-jira-issue-view-938040503.html) to get notified of when configuration is available and what other improvements are made available.

Also, if you have any feedback for the team you can click the "Give feedback" button in the top right. We read this daily and use this to inform what we build and improve next.

Hope this helps!

philosurfer January 19, 2018

you can't even change the ticket type from this view!  I just wasted an hour trying to figure this mess out. 

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 20, 2018

You probably have not got the issue type on the edit screen.

The change to the new layout will not have changed that, you're looking at the wrong problem.

Pål Frogner Hansen March 13, 2018

Tried give feedback here https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiracorecloud/the-new-jira-issue-view-938040503.html but the feedback link seems broken, so I am unable to give feedback.

The feedback is that I'd like to also see fields from add-ons: Sentry, Google Drive files and InVision. They are present in the normal view, but not in the new view.

Like # people like this
Thomas Nalevajko March 18, 2018

Sorry to say this 'new jira issue view' rollout is poorly managed.  A screen that displays unused fields first in an unwanted order is not going bring any good impact and feedback in regards this view fields are not configurable.  Lost another hour to navigate the mess plus hours of other colleagues.

Like # people like this
Ilén Zazueta-Hall April 17, 2018

I need to disable the new issue view for my team, it makes epics pretty useless since the underlying stories are no longer listed. Has anyone found a way to do this for ALL USERS?

Like # people like this
Ryan Charlick August 30, 2018

Agreed. the new view is horrible. I can't even disable it. I disabled in my profile and it doesn't turn it off.

keith potvin September 5, 2018

The new view is useless and really annoying to work with on top of not being configurable and they forgot to add several keyboard shortcuts that were functional in the old issue view

Like # people like this
Yuki Reid September 11, 2018

I have screens that are specifically configured for our intake & prioritization process, e.g. one that loosely mimics the SAFe epic hypothesis statement with custom fields in a specific order, plus separate tabs for calculating WSJF and capturing other relevant information.  

This new view completely destroys my custom screens and is putting my entire enterprise-wide process at risk.  The custom tabs are gone.  All of the fields from all tabs are in some crazy, not even alphabetical, order.  The information on the screen is virtually unusable.  This is really bad. 

Like # people like this
keith potvin September 13, 2018

I found out how to turn off the new view permanently for now by going to profile settings and turning off the "Try JIRA Labs" option. I remembered turning this on and it doing nothing for awhile then all of a sudden I started seeing the new view option everywhere. Turned it back off and the new view option is now gone! Very happy that the new view is not mandatory because in my opinion its a piece of buggy garbage!

Tina Harron September 13, 2018

I would love to know exactly what you are looking at. I can go into my Jira profile and scroll down to the "labs" section, where I see "new Jira issue view" option. My setting is turned off, but that does not affect the Jira Business projects, only Software type projects.

keith potvin September 13, 2018

Darn! It seems that the new issue view is always on for Business and Agility projects, I only really use a software project so it worked for me!

Christine Cheng October 15, 2018

Thank you @keith potvin - your tip saved my 8-person meeting from dissolving into a foaming and frustrated mess.

Like keith potvin likes this
keith potvin October 16, 2018

@Christine Cheng You're welcome! I'm glad that my tip was able to help you out.

18 votes
Todd Ross May 22, 2018

this new view really needs to be configurable.  custom fields contain the bulk of our critical information and forcing them to live as small text boxes in the right rail with minimal detail in view really hurts the usefulness of jira.  The description and comment fields are some of the most useless information in our tickets.

10 votes
Tara Harrison April 24, 2018

I agree with other responses.  The fact that you can't customize this view at all or re-order the fields results in a negative impact to my team. Atlassian please consider fixing this soon! 

8 votes
Tracy B August 29, 2018

All our most used fields are showing up in the right column way the heck down at the bottom. This view desperately needs to be configurable for it to be useful to anybody!

Tina Harron August 29, 2018

I am in the same boat. I created a ticket for optionally disabling the new view until Atlassian is finished working out the kinks, since I couldn't find one already...please add your thoughts and vote for it!

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-70131

7 votes
Charles Jamison April 17, 2019

Lol.  I am amused at how such a large company can take a massive UI rollout and make such a debacle of it even after having over a year to get feedback (see many of the comments above and elsewhere) and STILL bungle it.  Pretty much every complaint in this thread from over a year ago is STILL valid.

One other beam of joy in my day (besides having all our users be forced to use the "new issue view" suddenly today with no warning of the consequences so well laid out here by other users ages ago) is the explosion of fields that many people in this thread have mentioned.  Tabs are gone.  Empty fields are everywhere.  And, it appears, that the only way to get fields to hide (the old default behavior) is to go to EACH project INDIVIDUALLY, and drill down into "Issue Layout" and then drag and drop EACH field from "Primary" to "Secondary".  You can't even shift click them.  My JIRA cloud instance has 100s of custom fields.  Thanks Atlassian!

IF ANYONE KNOWS A WORK AROUND FOR THIS PLEASE LET ME KNOW!  Kerrrazzzy.

P.S. Atlassian, in addition to tabs being gone for Activity and history etc - the tabs in the edit view are also gone.  I guess atlassian just hates tabs because they are hard to use with our fat fingers on our mobile phones.  Who wants to use JIRA on a mobile phone?   NOOOOOOT MEEEEEE.  Not anyone I work with.  It is just dumb.  Okay whatever, sad rant into the void over.  Thanks for listening.  Someone should get fired I would hope though!

To all you disgruntled JIRA users forced to switch to this horrendous new issue view, here is the message I had to send to ALL the users of JIRA where I work.  Feel free to copy and re-use it.  The fact that I had to write such an email is a sad commentary about Atlassian's disconnection from the reality of its cloud users:

=====================================================

Hello,
You may have noticed that JIRA lecture and course tickets (aka "issues") are suddenly totally "improved".  And by "improved", I mean they are much more annoyingly user-UN-friendly.  It shows empty fields that no one needs to see that were formerly hidden.  Downloading files is now an annoying multi-step process.  Advancing the workflow is done in one location (rather than show context relevant buttons).  Tabs and other functionality are missing. Etc. Nothing was gained functionally, but they sure rearranged the deck chairs.  If the transitions from Hipchat to Teams was frustrating for you, this new view will probably induce a mildly painful sensation of deja vu.

The good news is that, for now, you can turn it off.  Unfortunately, it appears to be something that needs to be turned off at the individual level and not the administrative level.  So that means you need to do it - I will look further into shutting it off globally but in the meantime, at least you can get rid of it, and get back to the more familiar interface.

HOW TO TURN OFF THE NEW JIRA ISSUE VIEW:

To turn the new issue view on or off in Jira Software and Jira Core for now, head to Your profile and settings () > Personal settings and toggle the switch for the New Jira issue view.

If you don't see the Personal settings option when you click your avatar, the switch to turn the new issue view on or off will appear under Profile.

The "Your Profile and Settings" icon is the one in the extreme lower left of your JIRA screen. Once you go to "Personal Settings" there is a section called "JIRA Labs" and a switch to turn off the new JIRA view.

David Brenner May 26, 2022

I have opened a ticket with Jira about this.  I'm really upset.  The new view is beyond awful.  IT has bugs and it trampled over existing features right and left.

Like Neill B likes this
Charles Jamison May 26, 2022

@David Brennerthis just happened to you?  Are you saying you FINALLY got forced onto the new issue view this month?  I AM JEALOUS.  They did it us back in 2019!  Before many of the head-ache reducing features were introduced (for example you can now copy a field layout from one project to another which for me is a life-saver but at the time made me want to throw my monitor out the window as all fields had to be rearranged on every project by hand).

Not minimizing the amount of suck you are having right now - just saying that BEFORE ATLASSIAN INVENTED SCHOOLBUSES I HAD TO WALK 20 MILES IN THE SNOW TO GET TO SCHOOL.  Lol - all caps for the comedic effect.  So yeah, it sucks but it could have been so much worse!

David Brenner May 27, 2022

Hi @Charles Jamison  there is an option to keep the old view  - right now it says it's good until Aug 24.  They never forced you to the new view.

Charles Jamison May 31, 2022

@David Brenner- when they rolled it out for me without asking our organization's permission there was no way to turn off the new view from an admin level.  Which was a super lame move on their part.  I had to waste so many hours explaining to various users how to turn it off and emailing people etc.  People who were confused by my emails and confused by what to you and I is a simple process to shut it off at the individual level.

Is there a way for an admin to shut it off now?  If so that would be great.  Let me know if so.

But the bottom line is that Atlassian's move was like removing the checkout line at the grocery store and then acting like forcing everyone to self-check out was an "improvement".

If everyone could do everything at the individual level, then no one would need admins.  So this is precisely the sort of thing that an admin should have control of.  But Atlassian knew what it was doing (staggering the roll-out to various cloud instances to guinea pig test the rollout and reduce user outrage at a collective level - which is the OPPOSITE of how the Agile methodology is supposed to work).

Hence my ire, which was the point of my post here and elsewhere.  Sorry for the long response but your "no one forced you to use it" message is something I have addressed in other posts elsewhere so I am recapitulating it here as I am still to this day upset by their decisions.

I am not upset at you or trying to pick a fight by the way.  Just venting.

Like # people like this
David Brenner May 31, 2022

Hey @Charles Jamison 

When i said 'you' i didn't mean you specifically - I apologize if you took it that way.  And I get what you are saying now regarding the global ability.  I'm assuming that there was always a way at the individual level, but i did have to do a bit of googling to find it.  They made it not obvious (which is usually what you do when you have something to hide ?!?!).

Clearly the people who design their software don't actually USE their software.  I've been using Jira since 2005.

We're on the same side of this - I'm really peeved at Jira.  They've done this many times in this past, but this one is the worst.  If these things don't get corrected, my whole workflow is down the tubes.

They've completely ruined my process of creating new tickets - it will take me probably 5 times longer per ticket and I create dozens a day.

Setting aside that they've removed core functionality, the new issue few has a serious bug so it's impossible to keep the issue window open - it errors out after being idle for a few minutes if you are adding attachments.

Like # people like this
Charles Jamison June 1, 2022

@David Brenner, I didn't think you were attacking me - but I did think you were oversimplifying hence my long ramble.  Yes individual users can shut off the new view but no, admins can't.  I should have just said one sentence.  Lol.

What is your process?  Maybe I can help.  I do all sorts of crazy work arounds at my job and I have automated the crap out of our Jira workflow.  Do you know how to program?  If not you should learn because making new tickets programatically is super easy to automate (assuming the fields and info you need to put into a ticket is standardized enough that you can automate some aspects of it.

As for attachments forcing the issue window to bug out - how big are your attachments?  I have found that over 400 to 500 MB causes problems.  So sometimes breaking files into chunks can help (assuming that is possible, which often it is not).  Also, that is something that can be automated, and you might have better luck that way.

4 votes
Florian Locqueneux February 14, 2019

Security Level field is also unavailable.

Joost Helbing July 22, 2020

Still today

Tobias Mucke August 1, 2021

Still today, am I missing something?

3 votes
Kim Weathersby August 31, 2018

I have posted feedback about the new view using the Give Feedback option. We definitely need to be able to configure it before it is rolled out across the board. This is going to cause huge issues with our clients. I had information grouped and organized so they could find what they need, now, I can hardly find it. At this point, with all the new changes, I am seeing only problems and no new functionality that would help my teams. I am trying to remain open, but right now, I'm just seeing a lot of extra work.

Tracy B September 5, 2018

I agree. I would really like to hear something from Atlassian saying they are at least hearing our problems and working on them, but I don't even know where to look for that. 

Like # people like this
Bruce Fint September 13, 2018

Good luck - this issue is marked as Solved, so they've effectively walked away from it.

I have tried to post feedback at https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiracorecloud/the-new-jira-issue-view-938040503.html, but, as noted elsewhere, that generates an error. 

Benjamin Rood February 27, 2019

This is the behaviour of a bloated dumpster fire of a company who puts out a bloated trash fire of a product, at high volume and low cost for market saturation. I wish we had *never* used Atlassian Cloud.

Like Fred Rush likes this
1 vote
Tracy B July 24, 2019

Having finally found a way to move the fields around on the New View (The Configure command on the upper right ... menu), now I can't find the things I need. The Time Tracking field that's available doesn't allow us to enter an Original Estimate of hours any more; only how much time has been spent can be entered. This (once again!) makes the new issue view unusable for us. 

We are getting very good at turning it off, though.

Nathan Given September 18, 2019

The "Configure" button isn't showing up on issues in my Jira Service Desk project (it shows up in issues in my Jira Software project).

Not sure why...

1 vote
Yuki Reid September 12, 2018

I have screens that are specifically configured for our intake & prioritization process, e.g. one that loosely mimics the SAFe epic hypothesis statement with custom fields in a specific order, plus separate tabs for calculating WSJF and capturing other relevant information.  

This new view completely destroys my custom screens and is putting my entire enterprise-wide process at risk.  The custom tabs are gone.  All of the fields from all tabs are in some crazy, not even alphabetical, order.  The information on the screen is virtually unusable.  This is really bad.

Tatiana Lukyanenkova September 12, 2018

THank you Yuki. The problem is actually that some fields don't show up until filled out, so if I wanted to enter a value in the field that was not populated when the issue was created, it seems to be now impossible.

The new view is a complete failure in my opinion

Like # people like this

Yup.  That happens too.  In the Backlog, you can do a "." (period) and enter "Edit" to get to the edit screen, but not from the POS New Issue View.

Also, I noticed that in the New Issue View, the Epic Links field does not recognize epics that exist in my instance.  I have to revert to the old view to use the Epics Links field.  

Like # people like this
0 votes
Tatiana Lukyanenkova September 12, 2018

I can't find the way to open the "edit" screen in the new Jira view. Anyone knows how to do it, or whether it's even possible?

You have to double click into the individual fields. Not user friendly, as I don't see a way to actually get to the edit screen itself. 

0 votes
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 30, 2017

Hello,

What do you mean by "new Jira issue view"?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 30, 2017

Probably the new(ish) Cloud layout.  It's still configurable the same as Server (moving fields around etc)

Olga_Popova November 30, 2017

I tried to configurate it as the Server, but unsuccessfully. Firstly i can't find the right screen, secondly if I configurate through the settings of boards, at the end nothing was changed.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 20, 2018

I suspect you are looking at the wrong screens.  Go to project admin and look for the "screen schemes", drilling down into them to get the right fields in the project.

Suggest an answer