Configure JIRA to send email FROM the user making edits

JamesT
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 21, 2016

In the Notification Scheme for my projects, I always set the "email" field to "nobody@mycompany.com".  When one user makes an edit, etc, to an issue that causes a notification to be sent, the email is listed as from "Joe User (JIRA) <nobody@mycompany.com>".

Then, other users who get the email want to reply to Joe, so they just hit Reply in their email client, but their reply goes to nobody@mycompany.com.

Is there a way to configure JIRA to send emails "from" the person who made the updates/edits/etc?

3 answers

0 votes
Tibor Hegyi _META-INF_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 24, 2016

Email this issue supports this in multiple ways out of the box, including sending customizable emails manually or upon events, transitions 

To configure From address for emails sent upon events, you must configure:

JamesT
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 25, 2016

Thanks.  I can get JETI to send emails when I'm adding a Comment, but not when the issue is Updated.  Seems like I don't understand how to setup the Notifications/Contexts to allow different events within the same project to use different templates.  I sent you a direct email, so we can work it out.  I'll update this page with the results, so others can see it later too.

0 votes
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 21, 2016

There's no way to do this natively in JIRA. The JIRA Notification scheme can be configured to use a certain email address for ending email addresses and it does not have an option to "use the reporter's email address" and I agree with it. It's a system generated email so it should come from a system email. 

If you want to purse this option, take a look at the JIRA ScripRunner add-on Send Custom Email. You can manually set "FROM:" value for each workflow -create event (if you are willing to go that far).

0 votes
Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 21, 2016

I looked for this in the past, but alas, it seems like this is not possible.  At least it wasn't when I was trying to find a solution.

Suggest an answer