Component lead not receiving notifications

I've assigned a component lead to a component of my project. On issues/tickets in the project I've added the corresponding component. On the notification scheme used by the project I've added component lead to the "close event" notification events.

So I expect when I close any ticket with the fore mentioned component it will email this component lead. But this doesn't happen...

Any thoughts?

1 answer

1 accepted

Offhand, JIRA will only send mail to a user with the 'browse projects' permission.  Does the component lead have that?  One would imagine so, but sometimes that gets missed (say, if it's a mailing list, for example).

Thanks for the reply!

Yes. I'm testing out this function to inform another business area when an issue is closed. So I've created the component lead account myself and have logged in checked permissions etc.

I've used notification helper as admin, but it never seems to reference component lead. It just says notifications will not be sent to my user because they are not the watcher, assignee or reporter.

Okay, next thought.  Is the "close issue" transition in your workflow emitting the actual "Issue Closed" event?  If you created it manually, the default event is "Generic Event".  This takes place in the transition's post functions.

You got it! Thanks mate. Yes. I added notification on generic event to component lead and it works. It's also reporting status changes to "in progress" etc which I don't want....but it shows my workflow is the problem.

Thanks!

Ignacio Pulgar Community Champion May 22, 2016

@Andrew Martin, if you edit the workflow, you can:

1. click on the transition (arrow) which goes to the Closed status, 
  2. click on post-functions
  3. hover the mouse cursor over the post function that fires the 'issue closed' event and click on Edit (pencil icon)
  4. change the event fired from 'generic' to 'issue closed'.

That way, you can send the user notifications just on closure of issues.

If you follow these steps, do not forget to remove 'component lead' from 'generic event' notifications.

Beautiful! Thanks for the details on how to edit. Tested and working as expected now.

Really appreciate it guys.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Teodora [Botron]
Published Thursday in Marketplace Apps

Jira Inferno: The Nine Circles of Jira Administration Hell

If you spend enough time as a Jira admin - whether you are managing a single, mid-sized instance, a large enterprise one or juggling multiple instances at once - you will eventually find yourself in ...

525 views 1 15
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot