Close an issue, but not with button in screen

Vera Henrichs
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 21, 2016

So, we have a beautifull workflow, with 6 steps, which you have to follow in order to close an issue. 

(Open, Dev, Test, Acc, Prod, ok, Close) 

BUT sometimes when you're in an "earlier" step, e.g. Open, Dev, Test or Acc, it's a Won't fix and you want to close the issue.

I don't want to edit my workflow because I don't want extra transition-buttons in my screen, but how can I close my issue then? Is that even possible?

I have found out that with an extra Tab on e.g. an Edit-screen, I can change the Resolution. Is there some way you can set validators or something like that to react on that?

Hope you can help me!

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 21, 2016

Status is not a field, it's an indication of where you are in the workflow.

To change status, you must use transitions.

p.s. Never put the resolution on an edit screen.  Anyone making any edits to open issues will resolve them, and yet leave them open.

Vera Henrichs
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 29, 2016

It's even worse (I've fooled around with adding it to a tab so it can be used on Edit-screen).... The default option for the Resolution screen is "Done". So, when you edit an issue and do nothing with that tab, the issue will by default become "Done". 

Horrible action!

p.s. adding a Resolution "Unresolved" is not the same as the JIRA-resolution called Unresolved (the italic written one)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 29, 2016

That is exactly why I said "Never put the resolution on an edit screen"

Also, never never never have a resolution of "unresolved".  Or "none" or any other phrases that mean "we're not done with this".

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 29, 2016

The tab is part of the edit screen. It is just a visual organization, not another screen. The RED unresolved value indicates the field is NULL in the database. The only way to clear it is to go through a transition with a post function that clears the resolution field. the default workflow reopen transition does that if you need an example on how to set it up. Also, I suggest not having a default since most people will just leave it and you won't get the real one when you should.

Vera Henrichs
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 23, 2016

Nic you are very very very right! I was stupid for even trying wink 

0 votes
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 21, 2016

If you have the proper permission, Create a Global Transition in your  workflow from any status to the "Close" transition, add a transition screen for that and make sure that the "Resolution" field is in there so it can be populated on this transition.

As Nic pointed out, Remove the Resolution field in the edit screens.

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 21, 2016

Being on a different TAB doesn't mean it is on a different screen. It counts as being on the edit screen whether that tab is being displayed or not.

Suggest an answer